Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

another airspring question, issue with one rear bag and the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another airspring question, issue with one rear bag and the cold

My main question is: if there is a leak in a single airbag in the rear, will the entire rear of the car decompress a bit after a given amount of time? I am pretty sure the one bag has a leak, so I come out and it is all the way down; the other side is about halfway down, and maybe after a long period of time they even out near the wheel well. (As opposed to finding the car completely decompressed on one rear corner but still at level 3 on the opposite rear side). Does the added stress or difference cause the other side to decompress a bit even if it doesn't have a leak? Ideally I would like to just replace one now with the arnott Gen 1 bag, as I don’t plan to keep the car much longer.
_________
Here is the long run down of my scenario if anyone wants to read it! -

The past few winters I would find the rear airbags deflated after leaving the car parked overnight. It seems the problem has gotten worse, but still is unpredictable so I will describe symptoms:

Yesterday: 38 degrees outside; car in level 3 and shut off; suspension disabled (holding the two buttons). I check in intervals of 10 minutes. For the first 50 minutes the rear height does not change (using a measuring tape) around the hour mark I notice the right rear suspension is about a half inch lower, though don’t hear hissing or see a drastic leak. Go inside and come out 15 minutes later to find the passenger rear side completely deflated and the driver/rear side partially deflated (not to the wheel well, but maybe about level 1 or 2).

Today: drive to work and leave car in level 2 as I park (it went to level 2 and for some reason never went back to level 3 when I slowed). I exit the car and hear a very audible hissing from the right rear suspension. Since the suspension is not locked it will periodically try and fill it. I assume this is why sometimes it takes longer to drop; there is only so much air left in the tank to fill and when it runs out the compressor won’t kick in (since car isn’t running)

So clearly it seems to leak while in level 2 and its cold out. It is just strange because sometimes it will be fine, and in level 3; if it does leak, it is a very slow leak (like a ¼ inch an hour… versus the audible hissing I hear today)… perhaps it slowly leaks to level 2 then it is just a giant leak like jumping on a whoopee cushion.

I originally thought maybe there was some sensor issue as the problem was so intermittent and it didn’t seem to be leaking before.

So to fix I am thinking about ordering 1 rear Generation I arnott airspring. I hear from them that gen 1 you can just swap out 1 (where as gen 2 you should swap both). I don’t plan on keeping the car forever so just want to have it run this winter and be able to sell it in maybe a year. Also I did replace the compressor a year or two ago.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason why it only sometimes leaks is that the hole is located on the fold when the suspension is lower. At level 3 the hole is nearly sealed up because the hole isn't on the fold but when the car is lowered to 2 or 1 the hole now is at the fold and is opened up. That is why you can't really hear anything at level 3 and hear it well at level 2.

Replace the one that is leaking with the Gen 1 and go from there but be prepared to replace the other side soon as they usually go in pairs.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK, thanks for your response. I have ordered the rear airspring and will see how it goes.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

jptkts,

I have almost the same issue as you. I recently purchased a 02 6spd with the works. I absolutely love it! I have already put about 3k on it since thanksgiving. Last week I had some strange issue with the airbags. The rear would completely compress while driving. It was a horrible experiences due to just have purchased the vehicle. I found that the compressor wasn't producing any air. I replaced the compressor and kept the old one to maybe do a rebuild kit. I had the car on my friends lift and made the project extremely easy. while the car was i the lift I checked everything for leaks - lines - bags - connections. Far as I could tell with soap and water nothing was leaking!!!! This was about 10 days ago.

Today, It has been cold all night about 20 degrees. I parked my car outside about 8pm and left it in Level 2. I came out this morning to find that only the driver side rear has completely compressed. Where does this leave me? Does temperature have this much effort on it? Or is my bag secretly hating me? any advice would be awesome!

I should inform you that the front bags have been replaced but the rear are still original.

Other then this issue the car seems to be running great. I changed the oil, a coolant sensor o-ring that was leaking, balanced the wheels, and replaced a bad compressor.

The car has 140,xxx and I am the 2nd owner. The 1st owner took pride and had everything done on time.

This reply might drag on but thought I might inquiry about a SiriusXM wiring. I have the non-nevagation radio and want to know if any one has wired siriusXM to the main antenna?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Northwestern:

At 140k, I think it's about time to replace the rear bags. Nothing lasts forever and it sounds to me like one of your rear bags is leaking. Yes, cold weather can have something to do with it. In very cold weather, if I leave one of the ar's sitting for a week, the car will lower itself. However, during warm weather this doesn't happen, or perhaps I haven't let the cars sit long enough in the summer.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mike,

Thanks for the advise. Just dropped 400 bucks on a new pump. Might wait a bit before pulling the trigger on new airbags.

Must have an extremely small leak in the bag

I did the soap trick twice and it didn't show any sign. Sh*t happens

Thanks for the advice.

Keep you posted on my progress.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did you do an O ring check and check the air line seal nut with the soap test?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If the drying agent (silicate granulate) contained in the air pump is saturated with water, it can freeze in cold weather either restricting or blocking air from the pump reaching the tank and airbags. The drying agent is more likely to be saturated if you have a leak as the only drying effect on the agent occurs when air is released form the system. Parking in a heated area helps but only in the short term. The leak(s) need to be stopped. The pump rebuild kits do not see to contain a replacement drying agent.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

The last two days I have left work and found my front left air spring (Arnott Gen I, 2 years old) to be deflated. This coincides with temperatures dropping to single digits for the first time this year. The car does not drop at all when parked in my garage overnight, as the garage always stays above freezing temperature. I haven't had a chance to check for leaks yet, but I am suspecting an o-ring leak more than a spring bladder leak.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Has ANYONE w/half a brain troubleshot this yet !??

Hey guys ! My sisters '04 Allroad's front air springs ( both rt & lt) empty & the front-end bottoms out when the temp drops down to freezing temps (and I mean much lower than 32-degrees) I checked for leaks at all 4-corners w/all air-springs set at level-4 in a warm shop, NO obvious leaks at all. The dustribution valve box or unit (That's mounted next to the compressor) has "one" newer ( shiney brass, compared to the corroded older looking ones) fitting on it (Which houses & connects the green hose to the valve box) so it looks like someone has replaced the 1/8" green high pressure lines brass fitting that connects the green line to the distribution valve box ! So maybe, just maybe there's moisture building up inside the distribution valves !? And inheritantly, the fronts just seem to be the only ones to be effected by moisture, that freezes when the temps drop !???? My sister wants to keep the Audi "original", and not swap out the air-suspension for non-air. Don't blame her. These Audi's (junks) are meant for either Rich people, or poor people who are fools & don't care to waste $ to "think" they "look" good driving an Audi "Alllroad", Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Or for people who are very mechanically capable & just LOVE to tinker/work on them & maintane them, a lot ! So, I love to work on mechanical ****, but right now my shop is CHUCK FULL of Custom Harley's ! And it's winter here in Vermont, so my shop is not available for anything other than two wheels ! I was able to sneak into the "Tire-shop" when my sister had her Allroad in getting tires changed, so I quickly checked the air-springs for leaks. ( soapy water) I'm hoping there's a dude out there who's got it together enough and has figured out this "EASY" but at the same time "Involved" front right & left air-spring failure diagnostic & repair !!!???? Please help, or I'm just going to tell my sister to deal w/it for the remainder of the winter until it warms up enough so I can pull the scoots out of
my shop for the summer, and fix her Allroad correctly ! I still can't believe that there isn't a Thread on this website that already has this issue all figured out & the "fix" all explained ! And even w/pic's for the ones who can't turn a wrench w/out pic's ! If there is a Thread w/the "FIX" for the front air springs losing ALL air & dropping during freezing temps, PLEASE INFORM ME WHERE !!!!!?????

Thank you guys !!!