Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

AR Towing... who's done it?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR Towing... who's done it?

anybody out there towing with their AR? If so did you install your own hitch? could use installation pointers and product suggestions.

Also I hear that the European version of the car has a higher tow raing??? what is different?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The AR works great for towing

I installed a European Westfalia hitch myself last year (got it in a group buy for $500) Install was very simple. It ties into the frame where the bumper shocks normally go. I have towed my UrQ on a 1200lb trailer with no problems. You just a have to build an adapter to go from the 13pin connector on the car, to a 4-pin for your trailer. The AR is a very fine tow vehicle.

Eric
Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quite a few folks on here have towing capability with their ar's
do a little searching and also check on quattroworld, there's a lot of ar folks over there that have a towing setup
Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/mods...ZAW808008a.pdf
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a factory US hitch installed by the dealer when new, I tow a small trailer with my ZTR on it, total weight under 2000lbs and it hauls beautifully....
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, could I bother you for a snap shot or two?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The problem is not towing, the problem is finding a hitch if you do not already have one. I've been looking for the past two months, have several options on the table, but haven't been able decide on one yet for a variety of reasons.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True, I was very happy when I discovered mine had the factory hitch on it (since it's hidden when the draw bar's not on, I didn't know it was there till I looked up underneath!)

Since then, the only thing I've towed is my trailer and mower, but it's an easy haul....the only "problem" I have is that I have to tow it in level 1 or the tongue is too high, but that's OK too.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would be interested to see what you have found for hitches.

I saw an aftermarket class 2 hitch with the receiver pointing down, similar to the Euro model, but I navigated away from the web page and I can't find it again...

I'd like to get that hitch and modify it to accept a class 3 drawbar.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcsat
I would be interested to see what you have found for hitches.

I saw an aftermarket class 2 hitch with the receiver pointing down, similar to the Euro model, but I navigated away from the web page and I can't find it again...
There are only 5 options that I know of:

1) The US made Curt aftermarket hitch. Does not mount in OEM location, requires drilling. I ruled this one out.
2) The US OEM Audi hitch. No longer made, nearly impossible to find for sale. This is probably the one you found with a square receiver pointing down.
3) Bosal Euro hitch. European aftermarket hitch, mounts same way as OEM, Euro style receiver. Currently being redesigned with places to hook safety chains up to for US market, and not available until that is complete.
4) Westfalia Euro hitch. Same as OEM Audi euro hitch, regarded as better than the Bosal. No place for safety chains (have to fab your own). Reasonably priced but shipping is very expensive. I am considering buying one of these myself.
5) Custom made hitch. Either DIY or have a shop build it. I was/am contemplating this option, but can't afford the down time of my car to do it. Still on the table though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AR Towing... who's done it?