Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott air hose removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arnott air hose removal

I screwed up my air bag replacement on my 2004 Allroad in that I put them back on the car on the wrong side!!!!!

I took both strut assemblies out and didn't think to pay attention to which set of upper links and bracket went where. So I put the bracket with the left set on the right side, etc.

First clue: It was very difficult.

Second clue: I lost range of steering so I need a much larger space to turn around.

Big issue: Arnotts you just stick the air hose in until the fitting grabs the hose. I need to take the air hoses back out now and switch strut assemblies from side to side.

HOW DO I GET THE AIR HOSES OUT?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
I screwed up my air bag replacement on my 2004 Allroad in that I put them back on the car on the wrong side!!!!!

I took both strut assemblies out and didn't think to pay attention to which set of upper links and bracket went where. So I put the bracket with the left set on the right side, etc.

First clue: It was very difficult.

Second clue: I lost range of steering so I need a much larger space to turn around.

Big issue: Arnotts you just stick the air hose in until the fitting grabs the hose. I need to take the air hoses back out now and switch strut assemblies from side to side.

HOW DO I GET THE AIR HOSES OUT?
That was "mature" to admit that, Kneale

I've had success loosening (actually removing) the fitting and pulling (firmly) the hose back out ...it did reseal successfully when reinserted. I know you are not "supposed" to tighten the "VOS" fitting, but that's because the metal fitting is screwed into a plastic hole and will strip easily (not meant for "re-use" actually). So I coated the threads with epoxy and lightly snugged it down...no leaks at all, miles later.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make no claims of being an expert mechanic, Sam. At 74, I have learned humility.

Arnott reported the plug could be removed and reused as long as it was just "finger tight". I added several wraps of Teflon tape, used fingers to get several threads engaged and then turned it with a 10mm wrench until the resistance changed. No leaks yet!!

Last edited by Kneale Brownson; 08-19-2014 at 03:30 PM.