Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Bought a cheap broken allroad.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a cheap broken allroad.

I just got back from a car auction, helping buy a car for a friend. The one we had an eye on for him was a P.O.S. in person... but they had an allroad. I got it for $3200. I'm able to return it in 3 days, no questions asked, for a full refund. Worst-case scenario I can monkey around with the car for a weekend then give it back.

I quickly figured out why it went to auction. Smoke out the exhaust. Very minor at constant speed, almost not at all when idle, but giving it the beans spits out a blue cloud behind the car.

I have a decent idea about what causes that (piston rings/valve seals)... is there anything you recommend doing to try to fix this that's more audi-specific?

Also, it's leaking something. I think it's coolant. The level is a bit low and the fluid is rather pinkish. Seems too thin for oil. I can't find the leak easily. Is it going to be a PITA?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by acetech09
I just got back from a car auction, helping buy a car for a friend. The one we had an eye on for him was a P.O.S. in person... but they had an allroad. I got it for $3200. I'm able to return it in 3 days, no questions asked, for a full refund. Worst-case scenario I can monkey around with the car for a weekend then give it back.

I quickly figured out why it went to auction. Smoke out the exhaust. Very minor at constant speed, almost not at all when idle, but giving it the beans spits out a blue cloud behind the car.

I have a decent idea about what causes that (piston rings/valve seals)... is there anything you recommend doing to try to fix this that's more audi-specific?

Also, it's leaking something. I think it's coolant. The level is a bit low and the fluid is rather pinkish. Seems too thin for oil. I can't find the leak easily. Is it going to be a PITA?

Thanks.
More info needed :

Year?

Mileage?

Which motor?

Manual or Auto?

Lotsa blue smoke is rarely valve stem seals...much more likely rings or scored cylinder wall from past poorly repaired damage.

Yes, the coolant should be pink.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

'02, 141k. 2.7t Auto.

I just did a more scientific test of the exhaust 'smoke'. Actually looking at it myself instead of some guy at the auction house. I actually hardly see any. Only a puff of white when the turbos kick in on high revs. I think the guy was seeing condensation... but after driving ~40 miles, would giving it the boot still cause a puff of condensation or might that be some water issue?

Bullet dodged there. I'm starting to like this one more than my current one.

Now to try and trace that coolant leak.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm.

So I put a tray under the leak, and indeed the liquid is pink.

Name:  PjUKYbJl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  31.7 KB

But scanning the underside of the car, I found this:

Bought a cheap broken allroad.-ziuqmnv.jpg

The fluid seems greenish in those pics but when I wiped it off it was kindof this darkish grayish pink. I don't know what pipes these are.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, and it has a cargo cover and dog net. Those are pretty rare, aren't they?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very rare indeed.

A replacement is over $900 on ECS. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-All_Ro...runk/ES374301/
Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The dog nets are easy to find and reasonable...the cargo covers are indeed rare and very expensive, even used, when you can find em.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Where is it leaking from, front of the engine or back? Coolant should be pink, open the coolant reservoir and check the colour.

It could also be dripping transmission fluid from the tranny pan.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just took it for a drive out to dinner. On the way there, the compressor was almost constantly running, with brief pauses. Don't know if that's normal. On the way back it was quiet.

I think both tranny fluid and coolant are leaking. Tranny is a very very slow leak, coolant much faster. Leaking from the back of the engine.

And the engine definitely does make some light smoke in the high revs. Not clear enough to see if it's blue or white.

... and, on acceleration, it makes a noise reminiscent of a coasting bicycle.

I'm going to take it back on monday. Paid too much. Was worth a shot.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just took it for a drive out to dinner. On the way there, the compressor was almost constantly running, with brief pauses. Don't know if that's normal. On the way back it was quiet.

I think both tranny fluid and coolant are leaking. Tranny is a very very slow leak, coolant much faster. Leaking from the back of the engine.

And the engine definitely does make some light smoke in the high revs. Not clear enough to see if it's blue or white.

... and, on acceleration, it makes a noise reminiscent of a coasting bicycle.

I'm going to take it back on monday. Paid too much. Was worth a shot.
Yup, I would take it back too. Sounds like it has a problem with one of the turbos. On acceleration, when under boost, if you hear a dentist drill sound, the turbo is going. Which could also explain the smoke out the back.

Coolant and tranny oil leaks are probably no biggie.

In any case, a turbo job is expensive.

Quick Reply: Bought a cheap broken allroad.