Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audi allroad oil leak 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi allroad oil leak 2.7T

Hi guys. I know this tread is posted already 100 times but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

As I went through loads of discussions and websites I probably found the couse of oil leak in here:

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_o...il_leaks.shtml

According to that I've got 'rear crankshaft seal leak' wicth will cause a collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area.

So now my question is where is that 'rear crankshaft seal' and how to change it. Believe me I've read loads of threads and wathed youtube videos but couldn't figer it out. I think it has some other name or so.

Help Please!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rylis
Hi guys. I know this tread is posted already 100 times but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

As I went through loads of discussions and websites I probably found the couse of oil leak in here:

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_o...il_leaks.shtml

According to that I've got 'rear crankshaft seal leak' wicth will cause a collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area.

So now my question is where is that 'rear crankshaft seal' and how to change it. Believe me I've read loads of threads and wathed youtube videos but couldn't figer it out. I think it has some other name or so.

Help Please!!!
Unfortunately, if that's what it is, it is in single worst spot you can imagine, inside the bell housing, behind flywheel.

Ensure that this is where it leaks before you disassemble the whole thing. It is far more probably that turbo oil line or turbo line distributor are leaking oil and it might look like it is coming from bell housing since the would be dripping on top of it. Is the oil coming from inside one of the bell housing opening and there is no sight of oiil flowing around bell housing or is it just flowing on the outside surface of bell housing? First one would probably be RMS/oil pan seal, second would be something above it.

The only way to access RMS is unfortunately after removing whole transmission and then unbolting the flywheel/flexplate (depending which tranny you have). It is an expensive fix if you don't do it yourself.

Last edited by thejulex; 01-11-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can u explain how does it work: 'collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area' as this happens inside (as i can imagine) or maybe u have some other guesses???
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can u explain how does it work: 'collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area' as this happens inside (as i can imagine) or maybe u have some other guesses???
Bell housing has several slots open for clutch ventilation and cooling, they are all around the bell housing where it meets the engine block. Leaking RMS would cause oil to drip down behind flywheel and collect in one area of bell housing. I said one area since bellhousing has reinforcement ridges on the inside wall which create rectangular cells which needs to fill out before the oil spill over to next cell/opening. Eventually you have so much oil there that it reaches one of the slots and flows out. There is a remote possibility that something leaking above drips right into one of the slots on top and after collecting inside of bell housing, flows out making it look like it is coming directly from inside but it is really not.

You have to really do some grease work here and look behind the engine from top and bottom to ensure you don't see any oil entering the bell housing or flowing around it before you deem RMS as the culprit.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
Bell housing has several slots open for clutch ventilation and cooling, they are all around the bell housing where it meets the engine block. Leaking RMS would cause oil to drip down behind flywheel and collect in one area of bell housing. I said one area since bellhousing has reinforcement ridges on the inside wall which create rectangular cells which needs to fill out before the oil spill over to next cell/opening. Eventually you have so much oil there that it reaches one of the slots and flows out. There is a remote possibility that something leaking above drips right into one of the slots on top and after collecting inside of bell housing, flows out making it look like it is coming directly from inside but it is really not.

You have to really do some grease work here and look behind the engine from top and bottom to ensure you don't see any oil entering the bell housing or flowing around it before you deem RMS as the culprit.
Can u tell me exactly where the rear seal sits according to the pic???
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can u tell me exactly where the rear seal sits according to the pic???
It is not on there but it sits right at the end of crankshaft, #1 where #8 flwyheel bolts on to the crank.

Check this post, RMS is the part crank is sticking out in the picture couple of pages down.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1636345
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So just to make clear.. Is it No 17 that I'm after???
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

?
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. So till I get answer to my question about seal I'll tell full story (thats probably where should this thread had to be started from)...

After half a year since I bougth my Allroad, I've noticed minor oil leak after removing plastic bottom engine cover. It was so small so I didn't need any oil topups between complete oil change...
So after anoter year or so I thought its about a time to get rid of this issue so I went to mechanic (what a fool!!!)

To make the story shorter they repleced Valve Head gasket twice (as they thougth that's where the leak was coming from). Second time they put loads of silicone whitch is sticking out about quarter of inch (probably inside aswell !!!) and I end up with much harder oil leak (oil smell and even visible oil smoke) ....

I forgot to mention that after the 'fix' we run car for about an hour and didn't spot any leaking (ir ran idle, then about 3000-4000 rpm, and nothing)... until I took it on a road!!! After couple minutes of hard driving (I suspected the turbos) I returned to a garage and oil smoke was coming when we lifted the bonnet. U can only imagine how does bottom af engine was looked like...

And this is how I started my research and stopped on Rear Crankshaft Seal. I'm not a good writer but you should get the point. So any ideas or suggestion on what/how to check anything esle before I start removing tranny...

Many thanks for your inputs...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I read you need a new mechanic and likely new valve cover gaskets.
There are many places the 2.7 leaks oil from including but not limited to....
valve covers, cam seals, rear cam plugs and front prop seal. Any one of which a shop charges a small fortune to replace. All of the above were replaced on my 2002 2.7 before 100K. I have since purchased and installed the updated oil filler (breather cap). It is said it reduces the pressure on the gaskets.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...e+cover+gasket

Last edited by finiki; 01-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi allroad oil leak 2.7T