Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

TRANSMISSION PROBLEM $4500?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSMISSION PROBLEM $4500?

I have an 01' Allroad, 2.7T quattro, the reverse is not engaging fully. I put it into reverse and sometimes the car will slowly go backwards and sometimes it works great. The RPM's keep going up and the car still goes same speed. Took it to dealership, told me it was fluid level issue. Got it back from dealer with fluid level adjusted and still not fixed. Now they say it is my clutch and I need a new transmission without looking at it. Is this worth $4500 to fix, can I continue to drive it or will it eventually crap out on me? All other gears work great. What are my options besides new transmission and not parking in a stall.....
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is a common failure for this transmission...

The ZF has a weakness in the D Clutch housing in the 5HP19 tranmission:

http://www.freddiestransmissions.com/html/zf_5hp19.html

Additionally, there is a Torque Converter seal problem as well:

http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/tsb/tsb_32_05_02.pdf

I just paid $2600 to have mine completely rebuilt... This does NOT include R/I of the transmission from the vehicle.

Gavin

Originally Posted by hoshyallroad
I have an 01' Allroad, 2.7T quattro, the reverse is not engaging fully. I put it into reverse and sometimes the car will slowly go backwards and sometimes it works great. The RPM's keep going up and the car still goes same speed. Took it to dealership, told me it was fluid level issue. Got it back from dealer with fluid level adjusted and still not fixed. Now they say it is my clutch and I need a new transmission without looking at it. Is this worth $4500 to fix, can I continue to drive it or will it eventually crap out on me? All other gears work great. What are my options besides new transmission and not parking in a stall.....
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See about half way down the page, you will see some examples of the cracked/broken D Clutch housing...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I lost my tranny at 37k miles. Dealer charged $7k for new Audi transmission, warranty company paid $6,200. If you can find someone to rebuild it should be about $3.5k but I worry about the quality of the rebuild.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

My transmission has failed in reverse as well. I own a 2001 Allroad with 68000 miles so far. Serviced as required and regularly. What is up with having to replace my transmission after only 68000 miles because reverse no longer works properly. As long as I am on a level surface with no load I can back up. Put a load and a slight incline and forget backing up.

This was my first Audi purchase after owning a couple Lexus and an Acura. All purchased new. I have never had a bad transmission in any car till my Audi and all had many more miles. Most of my miles are highway. I love my Audi except for this transmission issue but I have no confidence in Audi's at this point.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw the dealer.. there were a few oem rebuilt trannys on e-bay.. all guaranteed. give search.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same issue as you and wisdomtech

Originally Posted by hoshyallroad
Just got back from a campning trip and experienced the exact same problem. Once with no load on slight incline then fully loaded on even or slight decline. Once I got home, making sure I don't corner myself in assuming reverse had failed, I tried it unloaded at home and it worked.

It's kind of ironic that I found this thread on the front page as I was about to search for this.

At first I thought it may have been traction control as the first time was on loose soil the second on wet grass/mud as I was leaving. I was lucky I was able to drive through a vacant campsite going forward.

I was also worried about getting home because when I had my torque converter replaced I read several testimonials here where the T/C code was ignored and reverse went shortly followed by complete tranny failure. Although I made it home I do wonder if complete tranny failure is imminent.