Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Auto Transmission problem after install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission problem after install

I have a 02 allroad that had several engine problems, so motor and trans were pulled. Ended up not getting around to fixing it for over a year. Engine is running and its all back together but... Im having some problems with the transmission.

When doing the fill procedure. Raised the car level, filled until overflow then when trying to go through the gears I would get a harsh clunking when trying to go into drive. I immediately went back to park. I ended up having to do this several time and each time being able to put more fluid in. Finally it was moving into gear fine when cycling through the gears 15sec at a time. I continued fulling and running though the gears until just before the trans reached temp and reinstalled the plug. This took 8 liter bottles to do.
I got the car back down on the ground and went to put the car in gear and it started doing the same thing it initially did, clunking and not going in gear.

What should I try next? Try to add more fluid? Is it possible to still be low even after using 8 liters of trans fluid... with some spilling from overflow.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

was the transmission and torque convertor completely dry upon install?
If so, it should take 9.8L, so there is a good chance its still low.

I had an A8 recently, and the difference between letting it cool down for 4 hours, vs cooling down overnight to check fluid level was over 2 quarts.

Us transmission guys dont use the VAG-com to monitor trans fluid temps upon doing refill. I fill as much as possible before first start when cold. Then I start and cycle through R N and D for like 10 sec each, then back to park. Then I lift it and pull the plug and fill as fast as possible. I try to have it full in under 5 minutes because the temps go up pretty quick.

Its not bad to have a little extra, but it is definitely bad for it to be low.

Start with a re check on fluid level after letting it sit for an extended period of time (12+hr) to ensure it has as close to 9.8L as possible.

If you have the fluid level dead on after doing it this way, run the car as described above, and if still having the same symptoms, get into the TCM and check for codes. by what your describing it could have a pressure regulator valve problem. It should have a code for this if you do. There are 4 of them. Some times they throw a code that says something like "SV1 mechanical fault" which has symtoms similar to what you have described.

Hope this helps, Connor.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. Ill try to add more fluid. Everything was definitely dry. I imagine that it is just low then if it takes almost 10 liters. I have only used 9 bottle and I cant get every last drop out of them and loosing fluid each time it overflows while filling. So I bet it only has around 8L in it now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you are quick and organized you shouldn't lose more than a few ounces, ya know. I lay everything right in range so I'm not shuffling trying to get the plug in
Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by transman
If you are quick and organized you shouldn't lose more than a few ounces, ya know. I lay everything right in range so I'm not shuffling trying to get the plug in
Yeah, but a few ounces at each "overflow" adds up. I bet I "filled it" to the point it was overflowing 15 times. Thats all I was meaning by loosing some of the fluid.