Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Bleeding air from new steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding air from new steering rack?

Hi Allroaders!

So I just put in an new steering rack /rack & pinion in my 2001 Allroad 2,5 TDI.
However I cant seem to get power steering to work as well as it did before.

I have done the "end to end" bleeding procedure with the engine off and on, and with wheels in the air.

*Audi PS fluid, no foam/bubbles in the tank, but good circulation, so I guess the pump is good.
*Drives like a car with no PS, and no "self center-function"
*No difference with high engine RPM
*PS worked well before.

I think there might be air trapped in the rack itself, and the pump just pumps oil from the pump to the tank. Thinking about loosening of the returnpipe out from the rack with engine running and someone to operate the steeringwheel, to help the air out that way...? Space is an issue tho...

Starting to run out of ideas now, and it bugs me bigtime! The rack job was a pain in the ###, so I would like the car to work properly now
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every steering rack I've ever replaced, all I needed to do was turn the wheels full lock left to right a number of times to bleed the system......wheels off the ground of course.
Is it possible to reverse the hoses?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You do not need to drain air from the PS pump! If you have any air bubbles check to see if the strainer filter in the bottom of PS oil tank do not Jumped from the place. This is a common problem
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK, so I let Audi have a look at the car. They could not find out why I have no PS.

So I have these options:
1) a fault in the new rack. (Is it possible, steering is fine, but no PS function!)
2) hose problem.
3) pump problem

I cant get my head around it, I have circulation of fluid in the tank, no bubbles, and no leaks!
PS was working before rack was replaced!

What does the inside of a rack look like?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default When the pump goes there are multiple ways it will manifest

Originally Posted by MrBye
OK, so I let Audi have a look at the car. They could not find out why I have no PS.

So I have these options:
1) a fault in the new rack. (Is it possible, steering is fine, but no PS function!)
2) hose problem.
3) pump problem

I cant get my head around it, I have circulation of fluid in the tank, no bubbles, and no leaks!
PS was working before rack was replaced!

What does the inside of a rack look like?
Ok, so my steering pump went during a front end collision. These were the symptoms: horible grinding noise when turning along with vibration) yet the steering assist was working(aka I had power steering).

I replaced that pump with a used one. In the process I made a small hole in the 's' hose aka supply hose without knowing. At first the steering power would work at high rpm(so I would rev it and it would work) and after a few months it crapped out all the way(no power steering, even though I bought the 's' hose new from the dealer for $50 and replaced it).

Then I bought a known to work used pump with warranty off eBay for about $60. This one worked like a charm. No vibrations, no noice and full power steering at idle.

The point is: these stupid pumps crap out if they get air in the system. They are very sensitive. If the rack somehow pushed some air towards the pump, forget about it, the pump is shot. Sometimes they develop weird noises, or don't work at idle, sometimes they just die...But replacing the pump is no fun either. Might as well do the timing belt too...