Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Buying a 2003-2005 allroad quattro: Do I get 2.7T or 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2003-2005 allroad quattro: Do I get 2.7T or 4.2?

Greetings all,

After painstaking research, I've decided on buying an allroad quattro in the 2003-2005 timeframe (C5/C6?) - and will soon be a frequent participant on the allroad forum!

The only thing left to decide is: 2.7T, or 4.2? I do love turbocharged engines (just sold a 6.0L Powerstroke), but I'm a bit hesitant on the twin-turbo concept.

Looking around the market place it appears that the ratio of 2.7T to 4.2 engines available is something like 30:1 (i.e., 4.2 is relatively rare), and I'm not sure if this is representative of the overall production numbers, or if the 4.2 owners really love their cars and hold onto them forever. Or maybe a little of both ...

So what are the opinions? Should I go for the [far] more common 2.7T, or should I hold out for the 4.2?

Thanks in advance - I'm REALLY looking forward to my new allroad quattro!!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this is something of a dilemma.
Personally, I love the 2.7t. I have 2 allroad's with this engine and 6mt gearboxes.
That said, one of my other cars is an S4 with the 4.2 (and a 6mt). I love the additional low-end punch of the V8.
However, the V8 allroad's are not available with a manual gearbox and the automatics have had some issues. That's not to say the the manuals don't occasionally have issues too (1st and 2nd gear synchro's). I've had a rebuild on one of my allroad's manual gearboxes.
I guess basically it amounts to; do you want a stick? If yes, the 2.7t is the only practical route.
If an automatic is acceptable or a must-have, then the V8 is certainly a viable option.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Good luck!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
If an automatic is acceptable or a must-have, then the V8 is certainly a viable option.
Personally, I prefer the stick shift - especially on the German cars! (I've had two Merkur XR4Ti's.)

Unfortunately, the wife has been adamant over the years about NOT wanting to learn to drive one.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also have to consider the potential repairs for each engine.

The 2.7T has a timing belt that needs to be done every 70-80k miles. Turbos can go bad, especially when tuned or abused. My 2.7T has 198k miles on the original turbos for what it's worth. The engine itself seems pretty reliable aside from oil leaks from the valve cover gasket.

The 4.2 is a chain timed engine so you don't need to worry about a belt BUT if the guides or chain start to go the only way to fix them is to drop the engine. I haven't heard too much else on these engines either because there aren't as many or they are pretty reliable.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got two allroad's. The 2.7 and 4.2. The 2.7 is fun but the 4.2 is much more reliable. It has 300hp and almost 300ft lbs of torque. And they both get the same mileage. I live in the Mtn's of CO. So the 4.2l was a no brainier. Also, with all the problems to deal with owning an Allroad. Not having to change the timing belt every 70k on the 4.2 is one less thing to worry about. Good luck with your search. And be extremely thorough.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtnsearch
I've got two allroad's. The 2.7 and 4.2. The 2.7 is fun but the 4.2 is much more reliable. It has 300hp and almost 300ft lbs of torque. And they both get the same mileage. I live in the Mtn's of CO. So the 4.2l was a no brainier. Also, with all the problems to deal with owning an Allroad. Not having to change the timing belt every 70k on the 4.2 is one less thing to worry about. Good luck with your search. And be extremely thorough.
Until timing chain guides go which they will sooner or later, it is inevitable.

In that respect, both cars sooner or later require engine pull, 2.7t for turbos, 4.2t for chain guides.

Beyond that, timing belt on 2.7t at regular intervals of 90k miles when using OE Audi components. If you use aftermarket components, it is not unheard of to have catastrophic engine failure due to timing components quality issues, happened to quite a few folks.

Auto transmission: now this one is a ticking bomb that is a guaranteed torque converter R&D sooner or later (sooner on 4.2t due to more torque). The transmission is the same box on both cars. The tranny is simply too weak for the torque levels either one generates with 4.2 more prone to failures due to torque being more easily generate by engine (no wait for turbos so people tend to punch it a lot).

If I was getting 4.2, it would have to get converted to 6speed.

I personally have all-rebuild 2.7t with Tial 770 turbos and approaching 600whp on wheels.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
The 2.7T has a timing belt that needs to be done every 70-80k miles. Turbos can go bad, especially when tuned or abused. My 2.7T has 198k miles on the original turbos for what it's worth. The engine itself seems pretty reliable aside from oil leaks from the valve cover gasket.
Being a moderately advanced amateur shade tree (okay, enclosed garage) mechanic, valve covers should be "relatively" easy to do.

I got no plans to tune this car. I just like 'em to be stock, OEM when it makes sense (i.e., timing belts), and reliable.

Looking at an '04 2.7T in West Islip with ~30K for just under $12K. With a halfway decent ESP to cover big-ticket items (drivetrain, turbo, tranny and hopefully air suspension) I figure I should be okay.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
Until timing chain guides go which they will sooner or later, it is inevitable.

In that respect, both cars sooner or later require engine pull, 2.7t for turbos, 4.2t for chain guides.

Beyond that, timing belt on 2.7t at regular intervals of 90k miles when using OE Audi components. If you use aftermarket components, it is not unheard of to have catastrophic engine failure due to timing components quality issues, happened to quite a few folks.

Auto transmission: now this one is a ticking bomb that is a guaranteed torque converter R&D sooner or later (sooner on 4.2t due to more torque). The transmission is the same box on both cars. The tranny is simply too weak for the torque levels either one generates with 4.2 more prone to failures due to torque being more easily generate by engine (no wait for turbos so people tend to punch it a lot).

If I was getting 4.2, it would have to get converted to 6speed.

I personally have all-rebuild 2.7t with Tial 770 turbos and approaching 600whp on wheels.
Huh... I wasn't aware of that with the tranny's. Thanks for the info. Makes perfect sense. My 2.7 that I'm selling (130k), has a bump in the tranny only when put into drive. My 4.2 is starting to get a slip between 1st & 2nd gear. I know an Audi mechanic who did a 4.2l 6 speed conversion. Now I know why. Do you think it is worth spending the money on a tranny service for the 4.2 (105k)?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtnsearch
Huh... I wasn't aware of that with the tranny's. Thanks for the info. Makes perfect sense. My 2.7 that I'm selling (130k), has a bump in the tranny only when put into drive. My 4.2 is starting to get a slip between 1st & 2nd gear. I know an Audi mechanic who did a 4.2l 6 speed conversion. Now I know why. Do you think it is worth spending the money on a tranny service for the 4.2 (105k)?
You either fix the tranny or sell the car as is or let the tranny carp out... Broken tranny will make the car close to wrothless.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I love my '05 4.2! Previously I was driving a '99 A6, and I could tell right away the difference in pickup.
When I first brought the 4.2 to my regular shop, my mechanic said "Glad you went with the 4.2, those 2.7Ts are trouble." That being said, there are maybe 3 mechanics in my area that are Audi certified to work on the 4.2 engine, so that might weigh in to your decision.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2003-2005 allroad quattro: Do I get 2.7T or 4.2?