Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Can't pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to test the O2 sensors with a meter? - I just replace the two front ones
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your fuel trim in group 032 to see if it was running rich?

It depends on how the EGT sensors failed; if you get constant protection fuelling it could be running at lambda 0.75 at all times.

You can email Andrzej for the EGT boards at sidaudis4@gmail.com (the driver side is more difficult to replace than the passenger side)

EGT Sender G235

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default got a laptop ?

“Usually when a customer comes in with a PC with a virus or a crashed hard drive, I'll use Ubuntu Linux running from a DVD to see what's going wrong. It's a great operating system,” he explained. “These days, Linux runs on everything . . . TVs, cell phones, cooker pots. I wondered if there was a version that would run on my car.”
Fortunately, there was.
“After I installed Vroombuntu, the diagnostic fault codes vanished! I was ecstatic!” Callaghan gushed. “The testing facility's mechanics sure were pissed though. They'd already planned out the $450 in repairs they'd do to give me a conditional pass.”
Reached for comment, Toyota Canada and the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association both cautioned that installing after-market software onto a car would void warranty and insurance coverage.
"Beyond the safety concerns we have with free and open source software, we're also concerned about the licensing risks," said Jan Bhatia, Toyota's Manager of Public Relations. "If you use Linux, the terms of use require you to share freely with others, and I don't think anyone is particularly excited about having to share their open-sourced car with freaky bearded, basement-dwelling Linux hippies."
Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
“Usually when a customer comes in with a PC with a virus or a crashed hard drive, I'll use Ubuntu Linux running from a DVD to see what's going wrong. It's a great operating system,” he explained. “These days, Linux runs on everything . . . TVs, cell phones, cooker pots. I wondered if there was a version that would run on my car.”
Fortunately, there was.
“After I installed Vroombuntu, the diagnostic fault codes vanished! I was ecstatic!” Callaghan gushed. “The testing facility's mechanics sure were pissed though. They'd already planned out the $450 in repairs they'd do to give me a conditional pass.”
Reached for comment, Toyota Canada and the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association both cautioned that installing after-market software onto a car would void warranty and insurance coverage.
"Beyond the safety concerns we have with free and open source software, we're also concerned about the licensing risks," said Jan Bhatia, Toyota's Manager of Public Relations. "If you use Linux, the terms of use require you to share freely with others, and I don't think anyone is particularly excited about having to share their open-sourced car with freaky bearded, basement-dwelling Linux hippies."
other than taking that quote from here: Ontario man hacks vehicle computer to pass emissions test | Mooseclean's

you should also add that to be able to code out such faults isn't something exclusive to Linux, heck you can easily do it on a Windows laptop and even easier and furthermore, you can tune your car as well.

Lot of knowledge and sharing available here: NefMoto - Index

FWIW, Linux is just an OS, it's the security, interoperability, stability of the OS in conjunction with programs/apps which make it of value.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
other than taking that quote from here: Ontario man hacks vehicle computer to pass emissions test | Mooseclean's

you should also add that to be able to code out such faults isn't something exclusive to Linux, heck you can easily do it on a Windows laptop and even easier and furthermore, you can tune your car as well.

Lot of knowledge and sharing available here: NefMoto - Index

FWIW, Linux is just an OS, it's the security, interoperability, stability of the OS in conjunction with programs/apps which make it of value.
yep....that's what quotation marks are for.
I do appreciate your link.

In Ontario you can get a 'conditional pass' if your repairs are estimated at greater than $450....should be no problem with my 04 A8L ! Hell add a "0" to $450 and the CEL might still be on.

CEL is automatic fail in Ontario unless you provide the repair estimate at get the 'conditional pass'
Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
yep....that's what quotation marks are for.
I do appreciate your link.

In Ontario you can get a 'conditional pass' if your repairs are estimated at greater than $450....should be no problem with my 04 A8L ! Hell add a "0" to $450 and the CEL might still be on.

CEL is automatic fail in Ontario unless you provide the repair estimate at get the 'conditional pass'
The entire post re: Linux and VROOMbunuta makes it sounds FAR easier than it really is. There's no support and forum for this bifurcation of liinux kernel and in fact the actual existence of a VAG applicable mod for it is dubious, at best. You are far better off either going to Nefmoto or paying someone to do the mod for you.

As for your D3, I used to have a C5 and with enough perseverance and troubleshooting it's actually possible to get rid of the CEL. I changed every hose, fitting, filters, O2 sensors and finally resolved the CEL then gave the car away Lastly, in some states a CEL is an automatic fail and you actually need to go beyond a repair estimate.