Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Cold engine whine issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold engine whine issue

Hi - I have a 2003 Allroad with 115k. Lately, upon startup there is a strong whine from the engine that goes up and down as the gas is pressed. If you stay in neutral it's there, and if you turn the wheel it gets even louder. It's there during driving as well - it can last 15mins into a drive, but after that it goes away. Any thoughts on where to start?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, and it's an automatic too...
Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that it's not your secondary air injection doing it's thing. It can be pretty loud and if the pump is getting worn can wine a bit.

But you stated that it got worse when you turned the wheel so I am going to say that your power steering pump is on it's way out. Check you fluid level and top it up if necessary. That may do it if you are low but don't bank on it.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really sure why it just goes away after a substantial drive, but it's a pretty powerful whine. I can almost feel it through the steering wheel. Do they (steering pump vs 2nd air injector) whine differently when they're on the way out?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

The secondary injection will sound like a jet blower when it kicks on but it only comes on when the engine is stone cold. It's an emissions thing that pumps air into the exhaust until the engine warms up. If the engine is warm it will not kick on and it does not change when you rev the engine.

The power steering pump will change in sound when you rev if it is going bad. Also, if the pump is going bad it will whine a lot when you are stationary and you turn the wheel. This is because you are putting a big load on the pump.

This being said it could also be the belt and/or belt tensioner. If the belt is warn it could be slipping on the power pump pulley and causing a wine or squeal. This will also be change when reving the engine. When things warm up the wine can go away.

I'm betting it's either the pump or the belt. Now I'm leaning towards the belt since it goes away after you drive for a while. This all depends on if you have enough fluid in the system.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

That some good insight. The whine is really engine forced, not like a belt slipping screech.

The power steering pump is a definite possibility. It whirs/whines in conjuction with the engine. Does the pump speed up when the engine speeds up? It also definately whirs/whines louder when you turn the wheel when parked. And I can almost feel it in the steering wheel. All these point to steering pump/tensioner, but...

I just don't quite get why it goes away after a long drive.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your power steering...think the reservoir has a filter in it,change the bottle,there cheap,my audi/vw parts supplier has over 40 on the shelf...gotta wonder why when it never breaks.going to change mine soon,and flush the system to protect my pump...the noise probably goes away as the fluid gets hotter and thins out...Europeparts and varies others sell this,about $20
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, it's your power steering, because it is driven by the v-belt. The 2nd air injector pump is driven by a motor, and it blew its 25 amp fuse when my 2001's pump motor bearing rusted shut.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Check your power steering fluid level.
2. Tighten the power steering clamp connecting rubber hose to hardpipe at engine block. It is very common to loosen with age and in cold weather it is loose enough to allow micro air bubbles in (as this is a suction pipe) which make cavitation sound when compressed to high pressure needed for steering rack - thus the whine that changes as you turn the wheel and rack needs more pressure.

You can see the pipe from below when you take off your belly pan. It is just above the oil filter. Rubber hose goes seemingly from the fender area to upward bending metal hard pipe. It is about 3/4" in diameter. It should have oetiker clamp on it, tighten that and you can add extra worm clamp next to it to tighten that area more.