Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Cold Weather Suspension Issues

Old 02-09-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather Suspension Issues

Hi,
I've been having a number of suspension issues on my 2002 Allroad 2.7 T when the temperature is cold (temps below 25 degrees).

The symptoms are: one of the front air bags is deflated each morning even though both were replaced individually in the last 3-7k miles with Arnott bags.

When I start the car the suspension doesn't automatically raise but will raise manually to level 4 (sometimes) but more often level 3 with a proper flashing suspension indicator light on the dash that goes out once the level is reached. It can take 2-3 minutes to reach level 3 or 4.
Initially I get no suspension warning light on the dash but within a few minutes I do get the light and the ESP cannot be disengaged.

After 10-20 miles of driving the suspension drops from level 3 to level 1 with a flashing level indicator light and the suspension warning light illuminated. If I turn off the ignition and restart the car the warning light goes out and ESP can be disengaged and the suspension can be manually raised again.
The warning light may or may not come back on again soon (very unpredictable).

Last week both front bags deflated (for the first time) and are resting on the bump stops and will not raise at all even in temps above 35 degrees. Also for the first time I cannot hear the compressor running.I'm pretty certain that the compressor needs a rebuild as the car has around 120k miles and I don't think it's been done but I suspect other issues are in play such as a bad suspension relay or level sensor.

I've already ordered a rebuild kit for the compressor but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the above symptoms and can shed some light?

If the relay is bad where exactly is it located? I have heard that the relay is near the fuse panel on the drivers side but I see 3-4 relays and wonder which one it is ?
Is there also an electrical issue going on with one of the sensors that the colder temperatures are causing?
Thanks!

Last edited by Irish1004; 02-10-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

you cant rule out faulty air bags,I was scared off buying arnott bags because of problems reported on this site.But,sounds like compressor failure,even faulty bags will work on a good compressor,mine did.....the relay,is in front drivers side,under steering coloumn,have to remove the panel to get to it...my info says its on an eight way holder,top row,second from rhs...they call it J403,so it is possibly numbered 403...good luck
Old 02-13-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same issues as Irish,
I know my compressor is tired and now it doesn't want to come on sometimes
Its a hard call. The car is 10yrs old 320000Km (200000 Mls) It needs shocks, compressor, and poss. some more suspension work, plus some other minor stuff (but it all adds up)
Option 2 replace with coil over's, Still a lot of cash to put into a car Almost as much as its worth
I like this car but sometimes you have to know when to quit, It hasn't cost a lot so far So do you quit whilst you are ahead
I am lucky enough to be able to park it until spring and then look at it again
Sorry I am no help to Irish ...But will watch this post to see how it evolves
Old 02-14-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wont be the relay, if the compressor starts and stops the relay is fine,

if it puts the error light on after trying to lift but it tries again if you turn the car off and on the compressor is weak, this will be due to the sinking - leaks, you can refurbish the compressor which should get you lifting again but ultimately you must sort the leaks as it will destroy any compressor quickly,

arnotts were known recently for the brand new plastic units leaking, check with soapy water for bubbles forming and get them replaced under warranty if proved to be leaking

regards

Andy
Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Water in the system

Probably you have air leaks from the system and it makes the formation of water in the system and in the low-temperature the water are freezing and disrupt the work of the system.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

At present the compressor is not turning on. I'm assuming that if the compressor is rebuilt it won't suddenly power up and turn on but rather will create more PSI once it's running. In other words low PSI output doesn't prevent the compressor from turning on ..just takes longer to raise levels? Are my assumptions correct??

Last edited by Irish1004; 02-20-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes! My compressor was low on psi, and could only get the rear shocks inflated. It couldn't lift the heavier front end. But, the compressor still ran until it timed out. You have another issue causing the compressor to not fire up at all.
Check all your fuses, and run a scan if you have the equipment.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update. I rebuilt the compressor using a kit from Bagpiping Andy. Great kit! Took about 5 minutes and was able to do this without removing the unit from the car. I pulled the panel below the steering wheel and checked that the relay is OK. I have not been able to locate the 40 amp fuse that protects the air compressor. I then pulled the kick panels from both the passenger and drivers side but again no 40 amp fuse was found. Does anyone know where that fuse is located on a 2002 Allroad 2.7T??
Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irish1004
Quick update. I rebuilt the compressor using a kit from Bagpiping Andy. Great kit! Took about 5 minutes and was able to do this without removing the unit from the car. I pulled the panel below the steering wheel and checked that the relay is OK. I have not been able to locate the 40 amp fuse that protects the air compressor. I then pulled the kick panels from both the passenger and drivers side but again no 40 amp fuse was found. Does anyone know where that fuse is located on a 2002 Allroad 2.7T??
Is your suspension error light on solid or flashing when you turn the car on?

can you hear the compressor running?

the fuse is up under the steering wheel you need to remove the whole lower panel (approx 6 screws) to access the relays and fuse, with your head in next to the pedals and look upwards you will see them all

let us know if that error light is on though that will stop the compressor running,

regards

Andy
Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

The compressor is definitely not running. When I start the car level one light is blinking and the suspension icon is flashing. When I press the level up button I can get the first three lights blinking but nothing happens. Front suspension still on the bump stops. Eventually I get the suspension error light and level one light is flashing. I pulled the panel below the steering wheel and found the relay 373 in the left upper most corner. I have looked at all of the fuses (plastic ones and the metal ones) but none are 40 amp. Should I be lookipng for a regular automotive fuse or does it look more like a relay? I did notice that many of the relays under that panel are labeled as 40 amps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Weather Suspension Issues