Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Complete Failure While Driving

Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Failure While Driving

I am a new member. Thank you in advance for any info that you can shed on my problem. I have a 2001 Allroad and in the past 6 weeks have had a complete shutdown while driving, the latest this morning. Both times I have been at a quick stop at a light or sign and making a turn (first time to a right turn and today a left) I proceed through the turn and no more than 500 yards and going some where between 15-20 mph my car completely shuts down, electrically and mechanically. The engine stops, all gauges, lights, fans, radio, etc shut off. Obviously I lose power steering and brakes will lock up if the pedal is applied. Turn signals don't come on but emergency flashers work. It the car is like when I am about to start it after just getting inside to go some where but it is already coasting down the road and the key is in the run position.
I put the gear shift into neutral, turn the key to off (I believe?) and immediately turn the key to start (I may directly turn the key to start from run position) and the car starts and runs as normal. Everything runs as nothing just happened electrical and mechanical.
Between the two failures I have driven approximately 1000 miles and except for the first few minutes of major "heart attack" I drive as normal with no signs of imminent failure.
Two things that may be related: 1) A week before the first failure I had the cam shaft position sensor replace as I had some starting issues. After sensor was replaced, no starting issues. 2) The check engine light comes on and off (by itself) with a P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance error code. I have heard others have had this issue for years with zero problems so I have not had it replaced/fixed.
The only other similarities between the two failures is that it has been some what cold. Sunny and dry but cold, around 15*F. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Has anyone else had this problem or know what is going on and how to fix it? I love this car and don't want to part with it, but it may be time to say good by.

Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

2 things to check. 1. Battery connections. 2. Ignition Switch. For a full on shutdown like that, those are the 2 most likely culprits.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Kris. Appreciate the advise.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Kris. I had a somewhat similar situation last year. Car died on me while driving a few times (once, in the middle of busy intersection -- scary, to say the least). It turned out to be a faulty battery power cable. The cable was corroded internally (no visible signs externally, nor on battery terminals, but resistance was intermittently jumping from low to high on the cable itself.) I replaced the cable ($300 or so) and not long after, similar symptoms were caused by defective factory alternator. Replaced it with Bosch refurb and all is good now. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Turns out that it was the alternator. Well I think it was at least. Last week voltage was dropping in and out. Tested a bunch of grounds without any resistance. Tested alternator and switched out. I havent driven it much since (due to air ride blown out on passenger side) but is registering voltage at every start. Hope there isn't an issue w/ignition switch down the road. Tks again
Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Cool. Hopefully you'll be back to 100% soon!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170776852028?lpid=82&chn=ps
A simple tool like this can help determine which has gone bad.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Late to the party but in case someone finds this post in the future my car did the exact same thing and it ended up being a fusable link in a little plastic box on the positive battery cable. It was corroded and was about $5.