Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

clunking while breaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking while breaking

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma and I thought if I share it with you guys maybe ill have a better idea.

i have this weird clunking noise that happens when I'm applying brakes when doing roughly 30 mph, it only happens if I am rolling down a hill and slowly trying to brake or stopping at a traffic light, a steering wheel shake happens with this and as the clunking gets louder the shaking gets more violent. I know what your thinking warped rotors, I have all 4 rotors and brake pad sets replaced (this was happening before i replaced the brakes also). I know the ball joint/control arm on the passenger side need to be replaced but what can cause a clunking sound and steering wheel shake when braking? really bad tie rod? axle?

also when i slam the brakes i hear a clunk once and it goes away, it almost feels like a loose calliper but I'm 100% that isn't the case as i checked and made double sure when replacing the pads and rotors everything was in place.

anyone got any idea what this maybe? its gotten me worried and I'm really hoping its nothing too serious and can be easily taken care of, if you need any additional info please let me know and i can give you details based on your question

thanks guys
Old 04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front lower control arm bushings

I would check all control arms, and sway bar links, if all good maybe tighten them a bit especially if any suspension work was done recently...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to just do all the front CA's. Both sides, sway links, maybe even tie rod ends.

I made the mistake of replacing just worn ones, only to have another one go a few months later. Finally I just did all the rest of the joints up front and everything tightened right up and all clunking was gone. Here is a link to a complete kit of good quality parts: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi...oad-allroadkit