Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Reverse is going out on '03 AR

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse is going out on '03 AR

Hello All!!

Well it seem as if our baby is losing reverse, the symptoms are all forward are fine but reverse is in and out. I took the car to dealer, VAG’ed it and no codes. The only thing that they found was metal shavings in the fluid. Unfortunately they just replace they tyranny with a remanufactured at $8700.00..OUCH!!

So, from what I have read it seems to be the F clutch piston / F clutch gear and it seems as if no one, at least here in Las Vegas repairs transmissions, they just replace.

So the question is do I buy a remanufactured transmission from Jasper and try to install myself, or do I try to find an honest and competent indie?

Also, is there any good Indies’ here in LV that could handle this?

Thank s in advance!
P
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never get the dealer to replace the transmission. Their costs are astronomical.

You can rebuild yours by a good ZF shop for half of that, about $4500. It's just as good as any remanufactured tranny.

Call up ZF and find a dealer/shop that rebuilds their transmissions in the area.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
I would never get the dealer to replace the transmission. Their costs are astronomical.

You can rebuild yours by a good ZF shop for half of that, about $4500. It's just as good as any remanufactured tranny.

Call up ZF and find a dealer/shop that rebuilds their transmissions in the area.
Yep, that's kind of where I am at now. I called Jasper because that is what our local dealer uses and Jasper seems to have a list of recommended indies here.

I just wanted to see if anyone in Las Vegas could recommend?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Pennog,
in case the tranny looses the reverse but the rest is fine, it is not neccesary to make a complete rebuild. It is enought to replace the wrong parts for the reverse. Here a complete rebuild in high quality cost around 2000 usd, the reverse itself cost 770-800 (including oil and filter change as well). That is also a sub-astronomical price (in Central Europe) compared to the cars' market prices or to any manual quattro gearboxes (you can buy them here as used for 400-700 usd)
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is the car drivable in all forward gears? Can you make the drive to Salt Lake (ie: time off work)??? My Indy here (Alpine Foreign Repair) will do it for $3500. The savings may make up for the cost and time. They have a local ZF rebuilder, and they don't charge by B.S. book time, only by the time it takes them. They have saved me $1,000's on repairs. I know we're a LONG ways away, but actually may be worth it. They have combined 45 years of working on Audis and VW's, and also worked for our main Audi dealer before opening their shop.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

found the link to a diy rebuild

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...on-disassembly

the pics and actual rebuild are further down in the post
Old 12-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by penogg
Hello All!!

Well it seem as if our baby is losing reverse, the symptoms are all forward are fine but reverse is in and out. I took the car to dealer, VAG’ed it and no codes. The only thing that they found was metal shavings in the fluid. Unfortunately they just replace they tyranny with a remanufactured at $8700.00..OUCH!!

So, from what I have read it seems to be the F clutch piston / F clutch gear and it seems as if no one, at least here in Las Vegas repairs transmissions, they just replace.

So the question is do I buy a remanufactured transmission from Jasper and try to install myself, or do I try to find an honest and competent indie?

Also, is there any good Indies’ here in LV that could handle this?

Thank s in advance!
P
My 2004 developed this same problem a couple of months ago. I was hoping for a less expensive repair... $3500 - $4500 is probably more than the car's worth!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got this too. Forward are all perfect reverse does work but it does not engage right away. It takes 3 to 5 sec and if I give it gas before it engages I get a rough jerk in return. So I have learned to just be patient and it works every time. I do however want to fix this but not at 40% to 50% the value of the car or my wife will start the SQ5 talk again. We love the AR but sometimes this car make you go hmmm. Any transmission shops suggestion for our cars in the Boston area? I would be afraid to bring it to just any transmission place.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
I got this too. Forward are all perfect reverse does work but it does not engage right away. It takes 3 to 5 sec and if I give it gas before it engages I get a rough jerk in return. So I have learned to just be patient and it works every time. I do however want to fix this but not at 40% to 50% the value of the car or my wife will start the SQ5 talk again. We love the AR but sometimes this car make you go hmmm. Any transmission shops suggestion for our cars in the Boston area? I would be afraid to bring it to just any transmission place.
Have you considered swapping the auto for a 6 speed. You have a very competent mechanic who specializes in doing conversions about 1 hour north of Boston.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Follow up Tranny Problem

Well after getting the tranny re-built, 3 times and fixing the mechanic’s other F'ups.

I now have transmission that shifts smooth and actuate, BUT now I have fluid dripping out of this mystery hole!

Any guesses as to why? And should I just plug the hole??
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Reverse is going out on '03 AR