Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Drivers side turbo oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side turbo oil leak?

Hello all,

Glad to see the forums for the C5 Allroad are still around. I just had every upper gasket and seal replaced on my 05 2.7T at 120K miles, and now I have a pronounced leak from an area near or above the drivers turbo housing. I cannot see the exact source of the leak, even after using tracer dye/goggles/blue light.

List of what was replaced:
VC gaskets
Cam seals and plugs
Tensioner gaskets/half moons (and drivers side tensioner after the tech broke it)
PCV spider hose and valve

I have used a USB snake camera/boroscope to try and look in hard-to-see places, and I see fresh oil on the hex bolts that connect the combi valve pipe assy to the back of the cylinder head, but no oil passes thru there I was told. The VC and cam plug gasket areas are clean. The oil feed, return lines and banjo bolts on the turbo housing are clean, and so is the return line where it's connected to the oil pan. It's making me crazy!

So what is the probability of the turbo itself now leaking oil out of the top of it's housing? I'm having difficulty accepting that. If I have to do and engine pull to replace both of them as per recommendations, I'm just gonna sell it.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"So what is the probability of the turbo itself now leaking oil out of the top of it's housing? I'm having difficulty accepting that. If I have to do and engine pull to replace both of them as per recommendations, I'm just gonna sell it."

I was in the same situation. My engine was leaking everywhere due to previous owners. I changed the uppermenitoned things and did not improved too much: the turbos were making the show. Reason: clogged or partially clogged oil damp hoses on the top of the engine (that big octopus like one close to the secondary pump) That can cause extraorbitant leaks. User failure: not matching oil type, neglected oil changes and btw that octopus MUST be changed around 200tkm in all cars after my2000 - according to many experts. Painful. Time to decide on long term keeping the AR.
You can sell the car or refurbish the turbos. In 2014 I did the latter one and enjoy the car further more, with much better mpgs' than before and approx 6,2 sec from 0-100km/h at 1,08 bar boost (chipped, nothing more).
At such refurbishing The turbos usually need to change only the sealings, no major parts. The oil feeder hoses are not cheap but worth to change with.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the rear cam seal.
Clean the area at the back of the head which is hard to do, i used a little mirror on a telescopic arm.

I chased a leak for ages, eventually it was the rear plastic cam plug. It would only leak after the engine cooled after a decent run. The oil would then drip down and end up on top of the turbo oil line.

I think i did the cleaning process at least half a dozen times until I was able to spot the leak. It's still a bastard to change with the engine in, but it can be done.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree! That is also a point to examine.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default extensive oil leak on front end

I am new to the forum, and I would just like to chime in. I have a 2004 allroad with 2.7T and 170k. I am willing to invest in the repairs needed for it. It was stated by a user that at around 200k there is a hose that fails. How extensive is it to repair, and what is the average cost. I was told by the seller that it was just serviced and many of the hoses where replaced. the oil pressure seems to sit around 175 or less until the turbos are warmed up. after that, it rides around 200.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also failed to state, the oil is concentrated on front end of block. I have a mechanic that has put in die, and will be bringing it back in to trace. What is the probabilty of the turbos damaged from running hot and not allowing to cool down before shutting down car?