Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

FrankenAllRoad Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FrankenAllRoad Build

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the AllRoad community but I'm a life long VAG enthusiast.

Last fall I started collecting AllRoads & parts as a new project for the winter. I've built many VAG card and done many motor swaps in the past but this is my first 2.7t build.

The goal is to build a reliable(relative I know), 2.7t AllRoad for my wife to haul around our dogs and food cart. So far here's what I've collected:

- '01 AllRoad with blown motor and Tiptronic tranny but clean body. It's also got a full HD static suspension swap and tow kit.
- '02 AllRoad with running motor(163k), presumably working Tiptronic and blown airbags.
- A6 manual transmission swap, presumably all the parts are there.

I've gutted the '02 donor car, pulled the drivetrain from the '01 and cleaned out the body and I'm ready to start refreshing the 163k motor. So far I plan to replace the following items:

- Timing belt
- water pump
- Head gasket and all gaskets above the head
- Any broken vacuum hoses from the spaghetti of both motors
- Clutch & Flywheel
- All fluids & filters

As I start to tear apart the motor, my first question is what else should I replace while I have the motor out and everything pulled apart?

Any advice is much appreciated. Pics to follow soon...

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To what capacity is the motor, "blown"?
Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Haulroad
To what capacity is the motor, "blown"?
The motor ran when I pulled it from the donor car. I couldn't drive it as the bags were totally blown but it revved, idled and started fine. I just want to have as close to a bulletproof motor as possible starting this build. I do also have a spare motor that has an obviously blown head gasket and is seized up.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure of your budget, but since you have the motor is mostly torn down, I would re-ring it. Unless you were able to do a compression test, first.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your to-do list is obviously dependent on your expectations for the vehicle. It sounds like you're in pursuit of a competent hauler. Even if your not buliding a sub 5 second racewagon, It would be a shame not to get rid of the k03's while the engine is out. The larger k04's are Generally much better quality and will operate at a much higher efficiency level making them less prone to failure. The bigger turbos will run on a stock tune as well and if you ever want to go stage 2 or 3 you have that option. You can never go wrong replacing rings, although they tend to hold up pretty well in the 2.7. I would also strongly recommend motor, trans and snub mounts. Also opt for some new cams seals, as they are quite fond of leaking. Hopefully this gives you some good ideas, good luck!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just finished with my k04 Allroad project, and definitely recommend the k04 route. They are much stronger than the k03's. Plus, this engine is somewhat of a pita to deal with (relative to other Audi engines), so it sure would be easiest to do all of the work at once.

And a note on the cam seals. Those things are terrible. Mine began leaking after only 2 months of operation. I am going to pull the front end to replace one in a couple of weeks again. Not sure if there is a trick to it, or if I have just had poor luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:00 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 01Allroad_k04
I just finished with my k04 Allroad project, and definitely recommend the k04 route. They are much stronger than the k03's. Plus, this engine is somewhat of a pita to deal with (relative to other Audi engines), so it sure would be easiest to do all of the work at once.

And a note on the cam seals. Those things are terrible. Mine began leaking after only 2 months of operation. I am going to pull the front end to replace one in a couple of weeks again. Not sure if there is a trick to it, or if I have just had poor luck.

I'm pretty interested in this thread -- I think it is pretty unavoidable that at the 180-240k mile mark, when the clutch or the turbos fail, you should just scoop out the engine bay and replace all the things, where "the things" includes:

1) new turbos (K04s?)
2) new timing belt
3) SAI delete
4) EGT electronics update
5) secondary water pump delete
6) cam chain / tensioner replacement (?)
7) new clutch
8) new motor / transmission mounts
9) ...?
10) N75

etc

Granted, that all adds up to ... a bunch of money in parts and labor, but at the same time, I (for one) think that the 2001-2005 manual transmission allroads are spectacular cars that really don't have any modern peers, and even if there were some modern peers they'd cost a fortune, so spending 8k every 200k miles is short money relative to the depreciation on a modern fancy ride.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread!
I would replace all the turbo related hoses that are hard to reach later. Oil and water hoses (as new) cost a fortune, Audi increased their price by 80-90% recently! Same way as they did at the air suspension.
... and 15 year from now we will see the Ur-Allroad in the "latest" image films (refer: Urquattro in the 25 years of quattor...with bunch of unavailable spare parts)
Nice way of running the cash cow business ...

PS
I would not delete the secondary water pump! That is very important to sustain the engine's good gondition, especially during summer time. Else you will have to replace the headgasket again, within 3 years or so, without performance increase as well.

Originally Posted by cdu
I'm pretty interested in this thread -- I think it is pretty unavoidable that at the 180-240k mile mark, when the clutch or the turbos fail, you should just scoop out the engine bay and replace all the things, where "the things" includes:

1) new turbos (K04s?)
2) new timing belt
3) SAI delete
4) EGT electronics update
5) secondary water pump delete
6) cam chain / tensioner replacement (?)
7) new clutch
8) new motor / transmission mounts
9) ...?
10) N75

etc

Granted, that all adds up to ... a bunch of money in parts and labor, but at the same time, I (for one) think that the 2001-2005 manual transmission allroads are spectacular cars that really don't have any modern peers, and even if there were some modern peers they'd cost a fortune, so spending 8k every 200k miles is short money relative to the depreciation on a modern fancy ride.

Last edited by PetrolBear; 02-12-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, the heat management system should be renewed completely around 200-240.000 km. I would buy a new OEM cooler table (a smaller fortune, ~600 usd? there) but the engine temp will drop 8-10C instantly in summer and heat resistance will significantly improve.