Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Front leveling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front leveling problem

Help needed. New guy (joined last summer when I bought my 04 Allroad.
I have a leak in the front left air suspension. I bought new front air shocks, and then promptly torqued the pinch bolt head off during dis-assembly. I tried removing it, but it won't budge, so I'm going to take to a repair shop to remove.
So, I put the car back together, but the front of the car will not raise at all, sits practically on the tire (the back seems to be at about level 2), and I can hear the compressor run for a short time after I turn the key on. I didn't put it in service or jack mode before I started my work (I know to do it now!).
The front is so low I'm not sure I can even pull out of the garage, I can't even get a finger between the tire and fender.

Looking at the fault codes, it looks like the front left sensor is bad (where I started working, but was fine before). I don't want to replace it if it just "confused".

Objective: To get the front high enough to drive to the shop to have both pinch bolts replaced, and then drive home to finish what I started.

First codes:
3 Faults Found:
01575 - Control Switched Off
01400 - Suspension Level Control: Control Limit Not Reached
00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Front Left

Cleared codes once, disconnected the battery (to power reset) and tried to reload the defaults for the leveling.
Results:
01771 - Control Module for Headlight Range (J431)

Checked the FL sensor, and left unplugged. Cleared codes.
Results:

Ideas? Is it really the sensor, should I replace and go from there?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like your doing a sensor replacement.
search for this p/n - 8E0907503
Old 11-28-2016, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Height Sensor

Originally Posted by Pete59
I have a leak in the front left air suspension. I bought new front air shocks, and then promptly torqued the pinch bolt head off during dis-assembly. I tried removing it, but it won't budge, so I'm going to take to a repair shop to remove.
So, I put the car back together, but the front of the car will not raise at all, sits practically on the tire (the back seems to be at about level 2), and I can hear the compressor run for a short time after I turn the key on. I didn't put it in service or jack mode before I started my work (I know to do it now!).
The front is so low I'm not sure I can even pull out of the garage, I can't even get a finger between the tire and fender.

Looking at the fault codes, it looks like the front left sensor is bad (where I started working, but was fine before). I don't want to replace it if it just "confused".

Objective: To get the front high enough to drive to the shop to have both pinch bolts replaced, and then drive home to finish what I started.

First codes:
3 Faults Found:

Cleared codes once, disconnected the battery (to power reset) and tried to reload the defaults for the leveling.
Results:

Results:
01771 - Control Module for (J431) Headlight Range

The two left height sensors front and rear also used by Headlight Range control module To adjust the height of the headlights. You can switch between front right sensor and front left sensor. All the 4 height sensors are identical (except the bracket and the arm) . In the height sensors ther is a electronic circuit that the right sensors do not use only the left.

Last edited by amiram; 11-28-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

PapaerToast is probably correct, but I would try lifting the vehicle with a jack to simulate level 2, then clear the codes, and start the car. It's possible, but not likely, the car is slow low the sensors are not reading.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Kinda thought I'd be replacing the sensor...I'll try the front lift (good idea MrKid). If it works I'll report back, if not I'll replace. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Faults code

Originally Posted by Pete59

First codes:
3 Faults Found:

Results:

Results:

You can not delete fault codes by disconnecting the battery! You must use scans or other diagnostic equipment such as VCD'S
Old 12-01-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by amiram
You can not delete fault codes by disconnecting the battery! You must use scans or other diagnostic equipment such as VCD'S
Amiram- I am clearing the codes with a VagCom. Somewhere on the forums (not this thread) they suggested a power reset in addition to clearing the codes.
I could have swapped sensors, to test, but I'm lazy ...and just ordered another sensor. BTW raising the front didn't help, still had the following:
01771 - Control Module for (J431) Headlight Range
Thx for the input!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can swap the sensors in about 10 minutes. You are only swapping the little black sensor not the entire assembly as the mountings are different left to right.
When you finish you will need to set the levels again, it won't automatically know how high the car is. Search 402 mod on this forum for the detailed write up and you need your vagcom and a tape measure. I did mine earlier this year.