Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

GAHHHH! 2005 C5 Allroad No Heat. Not even at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAHHHH! 2005 C5 Allroad No Heat. Not even at high RPM

I have a 2005 Audi Allroad, the 2.7t with about 125k miles. The heat stopped working this summer. Not a huge deal, but now that it's fall and I live in Montana, the mornings are getting a wee bit chilly. There is no heat when on defrost and only a very small amount if I turn the recirc and econ buttons on and am driving 80 mph on the highway. When the heat is on and it is cooler outside it seems that most of the air is coming from the vent by my feet and the defrost vent (which causes fogging of the windshield), which makes me think some flap somewhere is not working correctly.

What I have done thus far...

1. I have checked the heater core hoses. The out hose is hot to the touch. I have bled the coolant system, so I do not think this is a clogged heater core/air bubble issue as I HAVE had this issue on a B6 A4. This seems to be a different animal.

2. I have removed the glove compartment and it appears that all the actuators (at least the two visible on the left side of this compartment) are working properly. I can place my hand on the blower motor and feel it working as I adjust the fan speed on the HVAC unit. I thought this may have been the issue as I had a squeal/tweedle from the passenger side glove compartment area that has since gone away, but since the motor seems to be running, I have my doubts that this is the issue.

3. I have run VAG-COM and no codes have come up for the HVAC unit. I have also run basic settings for the HVAC system.

Today it is about 85 outside and I have run the heat at full blast and it feels cooler than the outside air. If I decrease the temp from HI to 80 the air temp gets even cooler, almost feels like the AC is on.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm getting frustrated...

Last edited by Tink; 09-10-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this out
Lets play a game: Thermostat vs Head gasket
never hurts to do a search as well
Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been carefully watching the temperature gauge, realizing that this could be a thermostat issue, and it has not once gone above half.

I also see no signs of the coolant boiling/bubbling, so it doesn't have the same symptoms as the situation in the link posted above.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bleeding

Originally Posted by Tink
I have a 2005 Audi Allroad, the 2.7t with about 125k miles. The heat stopped working this summer. Not a huge deal, but now that it's fall and I live in Montana, the mornings are getting a wee bit chilly. There is no heat when on defrost and only a very small amount if I turn the recirc and econ buttons on and am driving 80 mph on the highway. When the heat is on and it is cooler outside it seems that most of the air is coming from the vent by my feet and the defrost vent (which causes fogging of the windshield), which makes me think some flap somewhere is not working correctly.

What I have done thus far...

1. I have checked the heater core hoses. The out hose is hot to the touch. I have bled the coolant system, so I do not think this is a clogged heater core/air bubble issue as I HAVE had this issue on a B6 A4. This seems to be a different animal.

2. I have removed the glove compartment and it appears that all the actuators (at least the two visible on the left side of this compartment) are working properly. I can place my hand on the blower motor and feel it working as I adjust the fan speed on the HVAC unit. I thought this may have been the issue as I had a squeal/tweedle from the passenger side glove compartment area that has since gone away, but since the motor seems to be running, I have my doubts that this is the issue.

3. I have run VAG-COM and no codes have come up for the HVAC unit. I have also run basic settings for the HVAC system.

Today it is about 85 outside and I have run the heat at full blast and it feels cooler than the outside air. If I decrease the temp from HI to 80 the air temp gets even cooler, almost feels like the AC is on.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm getting frustrated...

Try bleeding
Old 09-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he did . . .

could be a stuck thermostat