Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Help set me straight; Cam plugs, tensioners, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help set me straight; Cam plugs, tensioners, etc..

Car. 2004 AR 6 speeds with 78,000 miles. Bought it less than 2 years ago with 52,000. I have had the timing belt done(among several other things..)

A local shop said I needed my valve cover gasket replaced. Work was performed. A week later I took it to the dealer to address an ongoing vibration issue. Upon inspection of the car, they said I needed to have my valve cover gasket replaced. When I said it was just done they said they found an engine oil leak; "Replace cam tensioner seal(s) and valve cover gasket(s).

I asked how this was determined and it was possible that the oil they found was due to a sloppy job from the other shop. Later I was told maybe I need cam plugs replaced. Not the tensioners? I'm very confused and trying to educate myself. The car has, sometimes, a faint smell of burnt oil. It's very slight. However today I started the car. Drove about 2 miles. Stopped for a coffee got out and a bit of smoke was coming from the engine. It looked like it was coming from the drivers side. I have an appointment to have it looked at by a different shop (to get their opinion and they have a great reputation). He added some dye to the oil today and I will drop it off on Monday. My guess is if there is a small leak it would make sense that oil leaked over night and burned off first thing. Driving the car all day and zero smell or smoke. No oil on the floor of the garage.

It seems that worst case I am looking at around $1,500.00 to repair???

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

The cam plugs should have been replaced when the valve covers were off for gaskets. The shop is technically correct, because to replace the cam plugs, you WILL need new valve cover gaskets again.
As for the cam tensioners, if they did not do your cam plugs, the tensioners should not have been touched.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While you're in there...

Classic example of not performing all the work while it's apart. Too bad.

If you're interested it's not that big a job.
AudiWorld Tech Articles

I have a modest skill level (oil changes, plugs etc) and with the article linked above I completed the job with minimal frustration using no special tools (except an extra-long flat head screwdriver to carefully remove the cam seals.)

I do know the appeal of having a shop take care of it, though, so whichever way you choose to go I hope your leak is gone for good!
Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Know this first-hand. I replaced the VC gaskets two times and the oil kept coming.
It was the plugs. I needed to unbolt the right hand exhaust valve to get better access,
but after replacing the plugs, no more burnt oil smell.
You may need to shape a sort of chisel to get hold of the rim of the puck, then use thin blade screwdriver to extract it.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks!

Thank you to those that have commented. I have clearly been going to the WRONG mechanic....Quick example is chasing down a continued vibration issue. After TONS of time and money replacing an axle and control arms.... It was a bent rim AND.... They installed the tension springs on my brakes incorrectly causing my pads to bang against my rotors. What a joke!

This is promising with regards to the cam plugs. I'm not excited about having the VC gasket job redone but the shop billed me about $230.00 for the work so 'losing' that is something I can stomach. Them NOT doing the complete job is not tolerable.

The car is going to a well-know and respected mechanic in my area.

Question. If it is the cam plugs; what is the ballpark as to what I could expect to pay for the entire job? About $1,200-$1,500?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If they replaced the plugs and the gaskets, the cost would probably be the same plus cost of plugs. Plugs alone would be billed as one hour work or so I guess.
I purchased these at the Audi dealer, $9 apiece and it is easy diy job if you ask me.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stigg
If they replaced the plugs and the gaskets, the cost would probably be the same plus cost of plugs. Plugs alone would be billed as one hour work or so I guess.
I purchased these at the Audi dealer, $9 apiece and it is easy diy job if you ask me.
I realize the parts for this are not expensive. I 100% will not be doing the work myself. I don't have the time, space, tools, knowledge or have a buddy that could help along the way with this project.

So, with that in mind. Curious about worst case scenario for cost and what is within reason. Meaning what might a dealer charge, local shop, etc.. Since I have zero idea what I"m looking at this could be a $200.00 or repair ro $2,000.00. Not knowing (and trying to educate myself on what to expect) hope to hear what's reasonable.

It's possible that the VC gasket will need to be redone?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

The valve cover has to be removed to replace the cam plugs. If the gasket was done correctly by the previous mechanic (which is questionable) he should have used rtv sealant. This will make the gasket N/G for reassembly.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default what about $

assuming worst case scenario what would a range of pricing be for this type of repair?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would say $1800 on the low side of the price range. If you mentioned to the new mechanic that the previous one did it wrong, $2200. He'll charge extra labor claiming the need to "clean up the mess".

Quick Reply: Help set me straight; Cam plugs, tensioners, etc..