Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

How does the cargo cover vs net work?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does the cargo cover vs net work?

My '03 Allroad didn't have the cargo cover when I bought it, and I'm confused as to how it worked. Was there a cargo cover AND a partition net AND cargo netting that sat on the floor of the trunk?

I see lots of partition nets available, but did those intend to cover the cargo area or go up to the ceiling to partition off the trunk from seated area?

I'm trying to make it safe from trunk object flying into the seats in an accident and am not sure if I should get the partition net or not. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The partition net are attached to the rear seats and can be raised with the seats up or in the folded position.

The cargo cover is a separate item that clips in just to the rear of the partition net. If you look in the hatch area there are two (one on each side) U shaped reliefs that will accept the cargo cover. This is where it clips in.

There is also a cargo net that simply clips to the various D rings in the hatch area. You don't really need an Audi specific one but just one that will physically fit the area.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cargo net vs Partition net for hatchback safety

Thanks for that info. For safety's sake, is the partition net the best at stopping cargo area items from flying into the cabin area or is that the intention of the cargo area net?
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4lane
Thanks for that info. For safety's sake, is the partition net the best at stopping cargo area items from flying into the cabin area or is that the intention of the cargo area net?
I believe the cargo net would be most effective at keeping the cinder blocks in the back from going the driver's head in a front end impact. It seems to be quite strong and is very well attached to the rear seats and the roof attachment points seem sturdy as well.

The cover makes the car look better because people can't see all the clutter in the trunk, but it is pretty flimsy. Also, it doesn't fold out of the way when you put the rear seats down, so it somewhat reduces the usefulness of the car. I got one for cheap, but if I didn't I'd just put a blanket over the stuff in the trunk...

chris