Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Inner CV joint issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner CV joint issue

So I'm in the midst of replacing all the front lower and upper control arms in my 01 Allroad.

I'm down to the passenger side lower control arms and I can't get them to line up with the steering knuckle. It would seem that my inner cv joint has managed to separate some and I have not been able to work it back in.

What is misaligning that makes it difficult to push it back together. It felt like it did this to me on the drivers side but pushed back in with relative ease.

Any advise...or what am I missing?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok so, I managed to slide the boot off without cutting it or the clamp...I found a ring that looked to be wedged in the way...where does this ring go? It's about ~3" in diameter and has a gap...looks like a basic snap ring perhaps
Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the bolts only loosely tightened? If they are snugged down then sometimes it's tough to get everything to line up.

Also, be sure to torque down all the bolts with the suspension at close to ride height. If you torque them down with the suspension sagging you will tear through the bushing in no time.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by G0to60
Do you have the bolts only loosely tightened? If they are snugged down then sometimes it's tough to get everything to line up.

Also, be sure to torque down all the bolts with the suspension at close to ride height. If you torque them down with the suspension sagging you will tear through the bushing in no time.
I'm not even to the point of torquing anything down yet...I can't get the lower control arms into the steering knuckle cause the axle won't collapse back onto the inner cv joint...

See previous post...the inner joint had a ring of some sort get in the way...not sure where this ring is from...
Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking about all of the other bolts that you have installed. Make sure those are loose until everything is ready to be torqued.

As for the CV it sounds like you might have over extended the joint. I did this once and you need to get the rollers back into their slots (not the best explanation). You kind of have to feel your way through it.

Here's a pic that I found of the inner workings of the CV. It's not like the ball bearing style of the outer CV.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea all bolts are still loose...

This ring I found, I have seen no mention of it or pics of it anywhere...once I removed this 'ring' i was able to line it back up and slide it back in. I just don't know where this 'ring' comes from.

I'll have to snap a picture of the ring I suppose
Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And it's not the snap ring for the shaft.