Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Input on possible purchase of 2005 Allroad 2.7T in Los Angeles

Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on possible purchase of 2005 Allroad 2.7T in Los Angeles

This is my first thread. I'm contemplating on getting rid of my current ride. It's a 2007 Acura TL w/tein super street coil overs, custom headlights/tail lights, LED interior, etc. (current Acurazine member) I'm looking into getting something that rides a bit higher than where I am currently. Also something that has much more room. As we have twin 4 year olds. I like the idea of the Allroad, but not totally sold on if I really need or will use the AWD in Los Angeles or on a road trip/vacation. Maybe I'd be just better off w/a A4 Avant? As the wife has a Honda Pilot for family functions. Ok, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Anyhow, I wanted to know if there's anything in particular I should pay special attention to when looking at a 2005 Allroad 4.2T w/80,500 miles $9,750.

Seller says it's in great condition inside and out. Full Yakima Roof Rack, Brand New Adjustable Airbag Suspension. It was used to drive to and from work in the Los Angeles area. Only one owner w/no accidents. The seats are in good condition and the car has either stayed in garages or tuck under covered parking since it was bought new in 2005. Recent Maintenance done 9/24/15 ($4,500):Replaced the Air Front suspension with the Arnott Front Air Strut Gen II Kit Suspension. Replaced both Front Air Struts. Replaced the Temperature Sensor with the VAG Green Top Coolant Temp Sensor. Replaced the Front Outer Axel Boot Kit, Front Upper Control Arm Bushing, & Front Sway bar Link. Replaced Front Brake Pad Set, Front Brake Discs. New Engine Coolant Tank and New Battery. New Pirelli P7 225/55/17 AS Plus 97H Tires. All work was done at Eurowurks in Burbank, CA.

Should I be alarmed that he's replaced the air suspension, struts etc already at 80K miles? Or is it normal? Also, an ideas on what timing belt would cost in Los Angeles area? As I think it's supposed to be done at 80K miles right?
What other parts do you feel might be an issue soon?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The All Road is one of my favorite Audis...

... and I was sad to see it no longer available in the U.S. It is a complex and finicky beast. The air suspension was both one of it's most enduring qualities and a potential source of headaches. Not surprising to see the maintenance, and in fact relieved. Arnott has stepped up to provide suspension solutions - that's a good thing.

The 4.2 is a heavy engine. My assumption is that you do not have off-road aspirations for the car. If so, the 2.7T is a better choice for a family rally car.

All-Roads were all-the rage in my former home of New England where the all-weather capacity and slightly higher ground clearance made them a favorite for the woods trails that criss-cross the landscape. Crunching through snow-covered pine woods towards a cabin fire-place is a vision that sold an awful lot of All-Roads to families in the Berkshires.

The car sounds well-tended and the price is good. Just be prepared for higher upkeep costs than the Acura.

I remain a passionate Honda guy and Acura produced some of the most fun per dollar cars on the road. I mourn the passing of the Integra RS, The TL-S and the 2nd Gen MDX (sort of a Japanese SQ5 - no, really). I owned Preludes for a while in the mid-nineties.

Good luck

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 06-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Correction!!! It's a 2005 Allroad 2.7T w/80,500 miles $9,750.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your input Eric. I appreciate it. I too have been honda/acura for a while. And the allure of the looks in the Audi's attracts me a lot! The higher cost of upkeep does scare me a bit though. But this car seems to have had a lot of stuff recently repaired. Other than the timing.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome, LA Jay

Originally Posted by LAJay007
Thanks for your input Eric. I appreciate it. I too have been honda/acura for a while. And the allure of the looks in the Audi's attracts me a lot! The higher cost of upkeep does scare me a bit though. But this car seems to have had a lot of stuff recently repaired. Other than the timing.
Most of the allroads abandoned at car dealer lots have been left due to suspension where the owner was sick of forking out $800 per side plus labor whenever they sprung a leak. Sounds like the current owner of this vehicle you are looking at has already taken care of this issue for you. The suspension replacement system from Arnott is typical, as their airbags are more affordable than Audio OEM. The Gen2 bags have a bit firmer ride than the Gen1 models. Both Generations have gone through a couple of iterations to iron out the kinks. (You can see these on Arnott's website). Expect that if you buy it and drive it for another 70Kmiles, you will also get to experience this "maintenance" repair. What you will not get is the protection of the lifetime warranty, as Arnott only warrants the original purchaser of these parts. If you are comfortable doing brake jobs, then you could do the airbag swap.

You might also find out if the shocks were changed. The shocks are mounted THROUGH the airbags at all 4 corners. Audi's are expensive, and the aftermarket shock world has not deemed the now-defunct C5 allroad family worth chasing. So there are Chinese knock-offs (some white-boxed to providers like Arnott). Audi shocks are mucho dinero. I am still using the original fronts, which got a reprieve for 30K miles while I experimented with the Biltsteins Arnott was selling before they pulled the plug due to lots of problems.

I like adaptive ride height feature because of infrequent snow storms in New England, and very rare excursion on a rutted dirt road. I also like "getting tall" on Level 4 when parking in a lot next to SUVs with menacing doors. But L4 is only for speeds under 10mph and will automatically drop based on road speed. Level 2 is the Normal ride height. The feature is great if you like to load up 1,000 lbs of rocks from HomeDepot or you tow a trailer.

We (those of us active on this and the "other" forum) tend to be vigilant to swap out front control arms too. The uppers wear fast, as well as the drop link. You will probably do the uppers every time you change the airshocks.

The timing belt should be done at 80Kmiles. I was charged $900 ish about 5 years ago when I hit 75K miles. But it was combined with water pump/pulleys/tensioner/thermostat changes that are reasonable to do while you have the nose off.

I see that $9,750 price as high, compared to what others on this (and the aforemention "other") forum are saying they paid (we are now in mid 2015). I would be surprised if I could get more than $6k for my MY2004 2.7T. Maybe one of us on this forum are selling and would be pissed for me to say that. But market price is well below $10K for a 2005 allroad around these parts.

As far as general usability for a family with 2 x 4year olds, it will be perfect. You will soon be paring down to booster seats in the back, and the cargo area can handle a double stroller for now, and eventually a couple of bikes. They Yakima bars are great if you want to add a roof box or bike carriers. The ultimate feature would be the factory hitch to which you could add tow ball or adapter to a bike carrier. The hitch is no longer available from Audi, and you DO NOT want to buy one from U-Haul. There are a couple of 3rd part options like "Bosal", and a guy on the "Other" forum named Justin that has tried to recreate the specs from the factory USA hitch.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

$9,750 is too high ...