Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Inverting the air ride (lower with air...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverting the air ride (lower with air...)

Okay so I know this sounds bizarre, and I can't find any examples of it, but I feel like the reason is complexity, not because it's a bad idea so hear me out.

I have an audi allroad with factory air. It has a pretty decent range of adjustment (and even more with some basic hacks) from slammed that will chew out the CVs to higher-than-most-road-based-SUVs which has no travel (droop) at all.

HOWEVER, like all air systems, this means the softest air spring rate at low (the opposite of what you want) and the hardest up high (again, bad.) It also means up high when you want the most shock travel you have none.

So here is the idea - fit long-travel struts/with long soft springs so the car sits way up high and use bags to pull it down (ie pre-load the suspension)

That means long, soft supension up high and stiff, short travel down low.

Apart from the fact this would be totally custom and need a lot of clever fab - what am I missing? How come I can't find a single example of this set up anywhere?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The rear (and the front)air springs Indeed Becomes softened When you lower the vehicle This happens not only because of the low air pressure in the air bags These mainly because of the PDC valve. ( See attached file) That is exactly what the vehicle needs at high speed and low height level. For better understanding of the air suspantion system google for SSP 242 and SSP 243
Attached Thumbnails Inverting the air ride (lower with air...)-rear-shocks.png