Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

k&n filter kit on 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth the hassle? Just a question...

I wish we could get hold of the German engineer who designed the intake and have a conversation. I think it would be pretty enlightening.

Keep in mind that probably more important than the increased flow from the open K&N filter, is the Air TEMP. The turbos are compressing the air which heats it tremendously. The intercoolers on this car are small. Any boost over 12psi starts to become counterproductive, because the heat produced in the intake air starts to Reduce power. The amount of air that you would have to replace to overcome the heat is simply massive…. And probably unuseable…

So my question is, will you really feel the improvements of the K&N in the seat of your pants when you are pulling out of planet fitness, stop and shop, or away from the office? I mean really will you notice it?

If the gains are 1-3% in power, is 2-3HP (at WOT) going to be noticed? Will it improve my fuel economy, serviceability, or longevity? Bottom line, is it worth it???

Please advise.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

You have to account for this. Initially your gains from the air filter will be minimal. Throttle response will be a bit nicer and overall power will be increased across the whole RPM range. So while your max power gains are minimal, you ARE picking power up through the whole RPM band, not just a couple of MAX ponies.

Also, as you add additional modifications, chip tunes, etc. The ability for your air filter to breathe more air will become increasingly beneficial to the car. So lets say hypothetically that your air filter adds 3% more stock on a 100 hp car. Then you add more boost so you air filter now adds 5% over stock because it can breathe that much more. Add exhaust, 7% over stock and you've got a great breathing machine. Add a larger turbo and you might be looking at 14% more power because it can keep up with the increased air flow over stock filters.

Look at the science; the very physics behind a more efficient filter are mathematically undeniable. Easier/Higher flow generates more power, especially in turbo applications.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd keep stock levels of filtration, but then I live in an arid (dusty) climate, so maybe it's different for you.

You don't usually get something for nothing when it comes to airflow. The primary restriction is the throttle plate. Want more power? Get it into the power band (4000+ rpm or so) and push down the gas pedal.

If you're to the point where high rpm and full throttle isn't enough power (Racing? Towing? live in Leadville, CO? Just have a need for speed?) then look at doing some stuff that will really make a difference. Chip, intercoolers, turbos, etc.

You can try venting the fender liners if you want some free power (improves intercooler efficiency, theoretically.)
Old 09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Pete@ECSTuning;23962968]A few things no one has touched on in this thread:

Firstly, you can soak up some oil from the K&N to prevent it from hurting your MAF - very common practice.

Old post, but anyway, how to do soak up the oil from the K&N ?

Last edited by GroupBquattro; 09-02-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just bought an AEM DryFlow Filter for my allroad. Mainly because it was a little cheaper than the K&N and doesn't involve any oil. I killed the MAF on my Jetta last time I cleaned and oiled the filter on it.

$48 from Amazon with 2 Day-Prime shipping.

I am going to install it shortly. Not expecting any major change with it, but I'm sure it will flow better than the dirty Hengst filter that is on there now.

I'll let you guys know what I think.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So I had installed the AEM DryFlow Filter.

Big difference? No, not really.

Car does seem to breathe a little better. Maybe just a hair more pull in the mid and upper range. Throttle response may be a tad more lively.

Very subtle and minor changes overall.

I don't notice any more engine noise or anything.

See how it looks after a few thousand miles when it becomes time to clean it.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on all the advice above. My experience with K&N was with my 2004 Durango Hemi and my 2006 Buell Lightning. Both had visible dust accumulation in the intake when I pulled them off for the first cleaning. Most likely the same fine dust makes it through the stock filter as well. It's the filter oil on the K&N that coats the walls of the intake and then collects the dust. Neither of those vehicles had MAF sensors so no worries. The 2.7t does have a MAF and therefore I wouldn't use one. Exhaust mods and tune will be your best bang for the buck. The 2.7t is happiest with no exhaust restriction at all. Unfortunately it's also very loud when you straight pipe it. I had both rear mufflers removed and it sounds very good. Not loud at all in the car but sounds good outside the car.