Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

locking tool required?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking tool required?

While doing a timing belt on the 2.7t can I use just the cam locking bar or do I need to also use the locking tool to lock the crankshaft. Ive read many post for DIY and none of them mention it. I thank you in advance for your response(s).
Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend using the crank lock, even though it is very difficult to install in the allroad. There is slop between the crank pulley that has the TDC mark and its bolts, and in my case, the marks did not align with the cam lock in place. When I bolted the pulley back on, I made sure the marks were lined up with the crank lock in place. It can be several degrees off of true TDC. With the crank lock, you are assured everything is perfectly aligned.

You'll need several extensions to get the lock in and out, and go through gaps in the suspension to get a semi straight shot at it. The cover for the hole it goes into can be different from the manual; I think it was changed between the APB and BEL versions of the 2.7 l engine.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jonlowe
I would recommend using the crank lock, even though it is very difficult to install in the allroad. There is slop between the crank pulley that has the TDC mark and its bolts, and in my case, the marks did not align with the cam lock in place. When I bolted the pulley back on, I made sure the marks were lined up with the crank lock in place. It can be several degrees off of true TDC. With the crank lock, you are assured everything is perfectly aligned.

You'll need several extensions to get the lock in and out, and go through gaps in the suspension to get a semi straight shot at it. The cover for the hole it goes into can be different from the manual; I think it was changed between the APB and BEL versions of the 2.7 l engine.
It seems as long as you have a cam lock bar the crank lock pin wouldnt be needed? Mechanically makes sense, nothing can move, not even the crankshaft when using the bar.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You have to remember that you are taking the cam belt off, so the crank CAN move relative to the cam in the process of loosening , tightening, and taking things off. Plus you don't know if a previous repair or cam belt change was done exactly right. If the crank is off a few degrees, valves can hit pistons.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=jonlowe;24669399]You have to remember that you are taking the cam belt off, so the crank CAN move relative to the cam in the process of loosening , tightening, and taking things off. Plus you don't know if a previous repair or cam belt change was done exactly right. If the crank is off a few degrees, valves can hit pistons.[/QUOT

Ok gotcha, thank you for your responses
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just did this job last weekend and didn't use the crank pin. I used the cam bar and marked several of the teeth on the crank gear. It's pretty difficult to accidentally move the crank gear when doing this. It's up to you though. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G0to60
I just did this job last weekend and didn't use the crank pin. I used the cam bar and marked several of the teeth on the crank gear. It's pretty difficult to accidentally move the crank gear when doing this. It's up to you though. Good luck.

Exactly what I was thinking, thank you.