Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

A mechanic melted my left front red air line

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A mechanic melted my left front red air line

I bought this car from my brother and he apparently had a mechanic who was replacing ball joints or tie rods and anyway I guess the guy hit the red air line going to the front left shock while doing this. He getto fixed and it was leaking and now it wont hold any air and my pump might be done because of it, I just did a rebuild of the pump so we will see. I have a vacuum guage and basically I can tell the red line doesn't hold air since when I removed it from the block no air was released but when I removed other lines they still had air. Also the vacuum guage could not get any pressure on this line. So is there a good way to seal this line where the guy burned it right under the control arm and getto fixed it or should I replace it? Do I have to run a line all the way back to the compressor or does it go to the glove box or something. Anyone have a good diagram of how it runs since all of the links or pics people posted in other threads don't work.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a 2002 audi all road and the front shocks were both replaced so its not the bags leaking.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should order a new OEM one asap and don't drive the car is this condition - and charge it to the mechanic /.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here you go:
quattroworld.com Forums: Thanks to all that helped with the punctured airline fix suggestions
Old 09-15-2014, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
You should order a new OEM one asap and don't drive the car is this condition - and charge it to the mechanic /.
Do I have to order it from the dealer? And how does it run through the car? Does this line go into the glove box and is it hard or easy to do this? Thoses connectors from grainger seem like the easiest option but who knows how long they will work. Also I would love to charge the mechanic but it was just a guy my dad knew in ohio so his hack work cannot be addressed. I believe he was a drunk.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

it would appear that I should find elsawin and then I will be able to she how the line in ran through the car.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whay is there no edit option on this forum?

So I found the line break and it has an air line repair fitting and now that I have it on the ground it seems to be holding air in the front after I rebuilt my compressor. I am guessing to be sure I should probably replace the entire line as it seems those connectors are a temporary fix. Maybe something was stuck open, I put a vacuum tester on the red line by the pump and could not get it to hold any vacuum but it seems to pump up now after a pump rebuild, maybe the pump was just having issues. Can I use any similar vacuum line or should I order it from audi to replace the red line?

Also i inheritated this car from my brother for $1000 and just got under the front to find oil leaks and it seems they are everywhere. My god, how many oil lines are there by the oil filter?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bertrenolds
Whay is there no edit option on this forum?

So I found the line break and it has an air line repair fitting and now that I have it on the ground it seems to be holding air in the front after I rebuilt my compressor. I am guessing to be sure I should probably replace the entire line as it seems those connectors are a temporary fix. Maybe something was stuck open, I put a vacuum tester on the red line by the pump and could not get it to hold any vacuum but it seems to pump up now after a pump rebuild, maybe the pump was just having issues. Can I use any similar vacuum line or should I order it from audi to replace the red line?

Also i inheritated this car from my brother for $1000 and just got under the front to find oil leaks and it seems they are everywhere. My god, how many oil lines are there by the oil filter?
Also like to add that when i unbolted other lines from the block air leaked out of them but when i unbolted the red line from the block nothing happened.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you can see the air lines diagram here: Suspension

It's up to you if you want to replace the line with oem or not. You might be fine with any brand as long as you get the size right(diameter/length).

As far as oil leaks: these cars usually leak from the cam seals/caps, chain tensioner gasket/half moon and valve cover gaskets. If you decide to tackle the job make sure to buy the updated oil filler cap; and check, clean or replace your crankcase ventilation hoses. Cheap oil or not the right viscosity for outside temperature clog these hoses/pipes(plastic) building pressure in the crankcase. The pressure and engine heat take a toll on the seals and gaskets.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You rock, exactly what i needed to know. I wasnt quite sure where to start on the oil leaks, pretty sure the valve covers are leaking and there is oil everywhere by the oil filter and there are so many damn lines i cant see where its comming from. I have to just start tearing into this thing. The complete exhaust turbo/headers back needs to be replaced as well, i need to look as the shop manual to see what type of job thats gonna be. Lots of stuff needs love and its a nice car but i am having trouble deciding if its worth it. Probably gonna have to rebuild the turbos at some point as well. i wish the back wall of the engine bay infront of where the battery is was not there and this thing would rock to work on with all the room.

Quick Reply: A mechanic melted my left front red air line