Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Multiple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple questions

Without starting many different threads, ill try to compound a few concerns into a single thread.

A) My car (2005 allroad 2.7t) Won't connect the the New York State inspection computer. The 12v supply is sufficient, but the two will not communicate. We tried unplugging the fuse for the ABS module. Also tried multiple things assuming it was the NYS computer system. Everything checked out okay on their end. I even took it to a different shop and had the same fault 3 times on his computer. The car has a b6 RNS-E head unit, that may be the culprit? I will try disconnecting the RNS-E to see if that allows the programs to mesh and complete the Emissions portion of the inspection. If that doesn't work, what other suggestions do you have? The OBD port works, as I have tested it with VAGCOM and by using a generic code scanner.

2) Drive-train clunk and gear searching when taking off? Come to an intersection, slow down to turn, make the turn and get back into the throttle and I get a THUD. Not every single time, but it is frequent. Im assuming it has to do with a combination of mounts that may be failing, just haven't had time to physically inspect them. Opinions?
As far as the "gear searching" say I am approaching a stop sign. slow down to less than 5 MPH roll and take off, using light throttle (to avoid the THUD, for the most part) it seems like there is nothing there for a momentary lapse of a second or so. Almost like the car is in neutral. Causes or symptoms of the THUD? Valve body? The only other issue I have noticed with the transmission is if I jump in, start the car, and throw it in gear right away (when the car is cold/sitting for a while) it will jerk the entire car, sort of mimicks if you "gently" dump a clutch when driving manual. If I let the car idle for a few seconds then no issues. Otherwise, shifts feel good, downshifting seems fine etc.

C) Diagnosing HVAC issues? Replaced the heater core when I did the timing belt/associated parts due to discolored coolant. over 5,000 miles since new heater core, coolant flush and thorough cleansing of radiator, my heat is practically non existent. It will work for a few minutes but then cools right off, almost like the A/C is on. I bled the heater core via the air release hole on the upper pipe... Which brings me to my A/C. You guessed it, that doesnt work either. Checked refrigerant level with a cheap gauge from AutoZone and the level read fine. I've never really dealt with A/C issues so other than check refrigerant levels, i'm not really sure where to start.

I do have VAGCOM to assist in diagnostics.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ride in to work this AM was a bit chilly. I had the heat on 68* and for about 10 minutes there was actually heat. Then it cooled right off like I had the A/ on. Is there a sensor or switch that I am over looking?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubblrest1985
Ride in to work this AM was a bit chilly. I had the heat on 68* and for about 10 minutes there was actually heat. Then it cooled right off like I had the A/ on. Is there a sensor or switch that I am over looking?
stuck thermostat and/or heater core flush
Old 09-17-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Replaced heater core when I did TB components around 5-6k miles ago.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally ended up getting an inspection sticker although the car still doesn't communicate with the inspection computer. Have a year to figure it out.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dubblrest1985
Finally ended up getting an inspection sticker although the car still doesn't communicate with the inspection computer. Have a year to figure it out.
If you can communicate with the car using two other devices, it's NY's problem, not yours. You just have to bring the car/scanners to them and prove it.

I used to work for a company that makes emissions equipment for state inspection programs. If engineering pushed an updated version of software to the inspection machines, there could be a bug in it. So no matter where you went, it would be the same result. Just because it happened at two stations doesn't mean it's the fault of your car.
I would imagine that a year from now the trend of "Audi's not communicating" will have been picked up on, reported and bug fixed....

Last edited by swamper8; 10-20-2016 at 08:37 AM.