Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need help with releasing fuel pressre from fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with releasing fuel pressre from fuel rail

OK ,now I know it has been stated that it can been done by running the line dry by removing fuel pump fuse and starting. But I have already disassembled vaccum lines and connectors to prep for Mani removal. I need to replace aux pump underneath, but its full of coolant and oil, and I would like to clean it up when replacing pump. Although I might just delete the pump alltogether. I hope someone could chime in with some help.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No need for any special technique

Originally Posted by Lawrence Furry
OK ,now I know it has been stated that it can been done by running the line dry by removing fuel pump fuse and starting. But I have already disassembled vaccum lines and connectors to prep for Mani removal. I need to replace aux pump underneath, but its full of coolant and oil, and I would like to clean it up when replacing pump. Although I might just delete the pump alltogether. I hope someone could chime in with some help.
If all you wanna do is disconnect the fuel line, just place a container underneath the hose and use two open end wrench/spanner to slowly losen the coupling. The fuel pressure left in the line after the engine stop is not that high. After pressure is release there will be no more fuel coming up...unless you attempt to start the car.

Wash the area real good before you remove anything and blow compress air to remove any sand and dirt. Tip: don't go crazy removing things. Just remove the manifold bolts and maybe the Secondary air pump and whatever else is necessary. Tip up the front section and work from there...some vac lines still attached...careful not to drop anything in the cylinders and remember to connect back the connector under the manifold.

The aux pump help to cool the turbo when you stop the engine. Similar to how a turbo timer keep the engine running to normalize coolant temperature and cool down the turbo slower instead of rapid temperature change. The aux pump do the same thing except you don't have to keep the engine running. The pump also run after you shut down the engine to circulate the coolant.

Despite what they say, I wouldn't delete it.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by P4Ring
If all you wanna do is disconnect the fuel line, just place a container underneath the hose and use two open end wrench/spanner to slowly losen the coupling. The fuel pressure left in the line after the engine stop is not that high. After pressure is release there will be no more fuel coming up...unless you attempt to start the car.

Wash the area real good before you remove anything and blow compress air to remove any sand and dirt. Tip: don't go crazy removing things. Just remove the manifold bolts and maybe the Secondary air pump and whatever else is necessary. Tip up the front section and work from there...some vac lines still attached...careful not to drop anything in the cylinders and remember to connect back the connector under the manifold.

The aux pump help to cool the turbo when you stop the engine. Similar to how a turbo timer keep the engine running to normalize coolant temperature and cool down the turbo slower instead of rapid temperature change. The aux pump do the same thing except you don't have to keep the engine running. The pump also run after you shut down the engine to circulate the coolant.

Despite what they say, I wouldn't delete it.
I decided to replace pump. I would remember to cool the turbos before engine shutdown, but wife probably not...lol. I decided to play it safe.