Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New to Audi... Buy a 2004 Allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Audi... Buy a 2004 Allroad?

Hello everyone,

I may soon be a regular member of these forums as I might buy my neighbor's 2004 Audi Allroad with 112k miles. It is a fantastic looking car and has a roof rack for my outdoorsy stuff. I know it would perform incredibly well, too.

I have been on the lookout to buy a used Volvo V70, but this Audi has plopped into my lap. I love everything about the car itself, my only hesitation would be fear of costly maintenance. I know it's not a Honda/Toyota, which is OK, but I am buying an 11 year old car because I'm on a budget.

What should I expect for maintenance? Are maintenance costs incredibly sporadic or can you generally assume it will cost $x per year? The car is in average to above-average shape.

There is currently an engine code pointing to some kind of a vacuum seal leak which I will need to fix to pass Calfornia smog. Also, it intermittently makes a squeaking sound which has been going on for years. Otherwise it's a great car (says the owner).

I am trying to make a decision because I have this idea that out of warranty German cars in general will just randomly need $800 here, next month $400 there, three months later $1400 over here.... you get the idea...

$1000-$1500/year in maintenance is to be expected. $2500/year is very expensive. $3500 or more and I really can't budget this car into my life.

What have your experiences been with the Allroad?

Cheers, and hope to be a regular poster here once I am driving the thing!

Ian
Old 01-09-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am also a new owner of an Allroad, a 2002 with 68000 km!

Everywhere I read prior to my purchase a month ago pointed me towards how much fun these cars are to drive, and I can't say I disagree.

There is something about the stance, the build quality, the heft, and the luxury in a pretty cool looking package that appeals to all of us, I think.

I also faced the same questions with regards to maintenance, and in my case, we have a very good network of forums, owners, and VAG group shops to use as support in lieu of going to the dealership, so I jumped in.

I would say your purchase depends heavily on the maintenance history, how good your local network is, and how you feel about driving it.

To me, its not a 12 year old car, but it was a huge step up from my 03 Jetta wagon, and the low kms and maint history made the decision for me.

I plan on babying this car, as it's literally the lowest km to price paid vehicle I've ever owned, and it feels fantastic driving it. There is an air of quality to it for sure. And its practical! We just had a huge snowstorm and people were spinning out and getting stuck left right and center. Ulf and I plowed right through everything like nothing.

Yes, it has some quirks and issues, but really, depending on the price you pay, and what kind of history it has, I think you'll be as happy as I am with mine.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics and the options it has...
Old 01-10-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a 2004 with 52,000 about a year ago.

You will/could hit your ceiling budget wise easily. Love the car. More little things with this car Han any other.

Expect to spend your max budget in your first 6 months buying this car. Then. After that. Hopefully normal.... Whatever that is on these cars.

Been close to selling. Mine a few times already. Money part sucks. So does having to keep going in for repairs.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nintendojohnson
I am trying to make a decision because I have this idea that out of warranty German cars in general will just randomly need $800 here, next month $400 there, three months later $1400 over here.... you get the idea...

$1000-$1500/year in maintenance is to be expected. $2500/year is very expensive. $3500 or more and I really can't budget this car into my life.

What have your experiences been with the Allroad?
You are mostly correct on the random dollar amounts, but in my experience they are spread out more than a month or two - more like 6 months or more. I've averaged about $2000/year in maintenance for my 4.2 allroad. This includes everything from oil changes (almost $80 each on the 4.2) to tires, brakes, etc. It does not include 'mods' like installing Hotchkis sway bars, extra set of tires and wheels, hitch and roof rack, etc. I do most work myself, and have only taken it to the shop a few times.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default maintenance does sound expensive

Hmm, thanks very much for that input.

Generally people buy older cars because they are less expensive mile per mile to drive than a newer car. It sounds like in this case, because I don't have the knowledge, the tools, or the space to do my own maintenance, buying/leasing a newer car (lower down model as well) will likely be less expensive mile per mile for me than driving the 11 year old Allroad.

Hope to see you all one day with an Audi in the future when I have a higher budget! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would agree with the $2000 per year average amount. The only way to assess what you are in for is to take the car to a dealer and have them do an inspection and find out what are the critical issues that need to be dealt with. The most consistent thing to go wrong with them is the air suspension. I recently replaced the front air bags and struts and the rear struts and it will run you $3000-4000. Now my car drives like brand new - I love to go over bumps and not feel a rattle, or corner at high speed. So much fun.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

$2000/year is fine! Because the car is older I can buy it outright. Then I can just save the money I would spend on a lease payment in a repairs fund!

I am in San Francisco where I think an independent shop will charge around $125/hr. If, labor included, $2500/yr is a healthy budget for repairs then I think I should get the car. If it could surprise me with $3000-$5000/year (all labor/costs included) then this is more of an enthusiasts car and not for someone who just wants a luxurious ride with a roof rack that starts when he turns the key.

I want the car, but I will feel really stupid if I start to spend more on it than my friends who just lease new BMWs, or even approach that price threshold.

I would feel foolish if I bought the 11 year old car and spent more to keep it on the road over a 3 year period than just getting a 1-3 year/old lesser model (Volvo V70 or Subaru). But if I can buy it for $5k and spend $2500/year to keep it driving reliably then that's a great option!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by nintendojohnson
$2000/year is fine! Because the car is older I can buy it outright. Then I can just save the money I would spend on a lease payment in a repairs fund!

I am in San Francisco where I think an independent shop will charge around $125/hr. If, labor included, $2500/yr is a healthy budget for repairs then I think I should get the car. If it could surprise me with $3000-$5000/year (all labor/costs included) then this is more of an enthusiasts car and not for someone who just wants a luxurious ride with a roof rack that starts when he turns the key.

I want the car, but I will feel really stupid if I start to spend more on it than my friends who just lease new BMWs, or even approach that price threshold.

I would feel foolish if I bought the 11 year old car and spent more to keep it on the road over a 3 year period than just getting a 1-3 year/old lesser model (Volvo V70 or Subaru). But if I can buy it for $5k and spend $2500/year to keep it driving reliably then that's a great option!
Be aware that within the Audi stable of vehicles, the AR unfortunately has a reputation of being very expensive from a maintenance perspective. I've owned Audi's for over 15 years and everytime I consider purchasing an AR, I hear from a few AR owners (past and current), who basically tell me that I should not depend upon it as I do my current C6. Just be prepared to spend more than you think on repairs and other maintenance items...even if you do the work yourself.

Also, interesting article that appeared on jalopnik re: the Audi Allroad Scale Of Unreliability:

German Reliability: The Greatest Myth Ever Sold to American Car Buyers
Old 01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Be aware that within the Audi stable of vehicles, the AR unfortunately has a reputation of being very expensive from a maintenance perspective. I've owned Audi's for over 15 years and everytime I consider purchasing an AR, I hear from a few AR owners (past and current), who basically tell me that I should not depend upon it as I do my current C6. Just be prepared to spend more than you think on repairs and other maintenance items...even if you do the work yourself.

Also, interesting article that appeared on jalopnik re: the Audi Allroad Scale Of Unreliability:

German Reliability: The Greatest Myth Ever Sold to American Car Buyers
Gotta find some excitement in your life somewhere, right? Me, I just bought a dead allroad with a koi pond in the passenger footwell, a jimmied shift lock solenoid, recently done brakes and air suspension by "that guy down the street", three different brand tires, headlamp lenses heavily oxidized, headliner coming down due to the humidity inside, and drove it home with every light on the dashboard lit.

Anyway, the car is in pieces right now. Carpet is hanging from the garage rafters, dripping. TCM is in the dumpster, new one on its way now. S6 interior and alcantara headliner is waiting in the wings. Additional parts are starting to circle, both stock and upgrades.

I'm getting antsy...haven't driven the car in over a week...wonder if it will ever start again.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by urs6_ma; 01-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
Gotta find some excitement in your life somewhere, right? Me, I just bought a dead allroad with a koi pond in the passenger footwell, a jimmied shift lock solenoid, recently done brakes and air suspension by "that guy down the street", three different brand tires, headlamp lenses heavily oxidized, headliner coming down due to the humidity inside, and drove it home with every light on the dashboard lit.

Anyway, the car is in pieces right now. Carpet is hanging from the garage rafters, dripping. TCM is in the dumpster, new one on its way now. S6 interior and alcantara headliner is waiting in the wings. Additional parts are starting to circle, both stock and upgrades.

I'm getting antsy...haven't driven the car in over a week...wonder if it will ever start again.

Stay tuned!
my point exactly. If you are a looking for a place to spend your time and money, the AR is great. If you are seeking something that is highly reliable and doesn't require much maintenance...well there's a reason that these can be had for $3K a piece ...or in the case of urse6...a LOT less

Quick Reply: New to Audi... Buy a 2004 Allroad?