Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New to Audi... Buy a 2004 Allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
my point exactly. If you are a looking for a place to spend your time and money, the AR is great. If you are seeking something that is highly reliable and doesn't require much maintenance...well there's a reason that these can be had for $3K a piece ...or in the case of urse6...a LOT less
$3K was what the previous owner of my car was asking...for a SoCal 2004 with 120K miles (and the aforementioned issues).

I offered him half that, in cash, slap my plates on and drive away.

I thought he was going to kiss me.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,

There have been countless threads here on this topic and the consensus is that the allroad ownership is a lifestyle. The pro list far outweighs the one con which is cost of ownership. I don't believe in all those threads there was ever one replacement vehicle that had all the features we love about the allroad (MT, adjustable suspension, tunability, cargo space, towing capacity, heated steering wheel/seats just to name a few) Most of us love the car but hate the repair bills, however we are willing to pay the price.

If, as you stated, you love everything about the car, go for it, just make sure you do your homework first. If your neighbor is selling it because it already needs a bunch of work look for another one. If it's all fixed and he is selling it to avoid future maintenance it may be a good option.

The two big items are the tranny and the suspension. You shouldn't have any tranny issues on a 2004 and with the suspension you have a reasonable cost alternative with Arnott either with the air shocks with lifetime warranty or a coil over conversion so you never have to worry about it again.

I owned mine for almost 10 years and I could probably have bought a couple year old camry for what I have spent on maintenance. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

One thing to keep in mind, and I don't recall reading this here before, is that while the parts are expensive, as long as you replace them it drives like new and will last a long time. Even my body is in great shape with no sign of rust from our heavily salted roads 6 months of the year.

Note also that you will be driving a $60k (here in Canada anyway) car for a few thousand $$ and even if you have to spend a few thousand per year in maintenance and include it in the price you are looking at under $30k in 10 years. That's a bargain for me.

Last edited by Synmag; 01-15-2015 at 09:02 PM.