Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Excited allroad Owner (sorry if seeing this again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Excited allroad Owner (sorry if seeing this again)

I apologize ahead of time for over enthusiasm... So I figured after driving this girl for a few months, I should make an official first post. (skip to the 3rd paragraph to skip story stuff..) And I have posted this one AZ and QW so I'm sorry if people are seeing this multiple times lol...

I bought a 2004 allroad 4.2 this past October. The guy I bought it from was a semi-enthusist as he said so he already put some work into it. It has the APR chip, H-sport sway bars, the OEM hitch, oh and he outsourced the newer Navplus system and put THAT in it too... He even hooked me up with the thule bars, hard wired Valentine system, and all sorts of fun stuff. PLUS pretty much every paper this car has its VIN on. Great purchase to say the least, and with all my friends doubting me on buying this through eBay without even looking at it, they now have 0 doubts after riding in it.

I've never even been in an Audi let alone driven one so this was all pretty intense to me. I went from my 2.0 jetta wagon to the Audi 4.2 engine. I was pretty excited I have to say. It took me a month to figure out how to turn on the chipped mode which I thought was pretty funny, but yeah, I think it gives it a pretty nice extra kick. I am quite happy to say that I have found a new obsession. I didn't know a thing about cars till last year, then I got a job at a computer store where I literally just looked up cool cars (german ones specifically) and then here I am buying my first Audi. I've done some looking around on forums and whatnot so I think I've got a pretty good idea on how this whole thing

Now I guess the general questions... What should I be doing to make this allroad experience the best one? I know theres not toooo many mods you can do to this engine, but anything to give it an extra bite would be nice. I'm thinking about the exhaust, so any help there would be great. I did get my fog lights to run independent from the headlights, which was nice.

Any specific oil requirements? I've tried researching but have gotten some mixed answers. Running 5W-30 now. I live in the Northeast so decently cold winters and decently hot summers. Oh, and best place to get oil filter? I tried all of the auto shops and only Delta Sonic seemed to have it... I want to be able to do it myself obviously but we just moved and my garage was less than inhabitable.

Already inquired about the IPP arms.

I want to have a few different set of wheels. Summer (stock 5 spoke?), winter (wanna try the pie plates), potential off road? Any ideas on rim/tire combos would be great.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my iPod adapter to work with the Sat radio. I found some stuff on that, but any tips would be accepted.

I'm probably forgetting things but I just figured I'd get myself out there. I apologize for all that reading but I do appreciate any help given.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same car, different color.
- Exhausts are available, a Google search will find several. Milltek, Magnaflow are popular.
- Filters are best bought from a European parts supplier, ECS Tuning, FCP Euro, Local NAPA can get them as well.
- Oil is a never ending debate. Shell Rotella T6 synthetic is well respected. 15W-40 is the recommended viscosity. Takes almost 9 qts, get it in the big jugs to save your time.

Hope it's reliable for you. Recommend keeping at least $1,000 in reserve for parts / repairs at all times. Time spent on the forums will highlight the problem areas. Air bags, compressor (rebuildable) oil leaks, oil consumption, timing chain rattle, coil packs, torque converter, suspension arms, front axle shafts, trans output seals, rear caliper seizure, evap valve, PCV valve, exhaust flex joints, radiator leaks (two of the three), fuel pump, instrument panel center LED display, peeling coating on the headlight switch, heater controls, anything with the "soft touch" rubber like coating. These are all the issues I have had. Pretty much the Murphy's law of auto issues, hence it's nickname is Murph.

If you plan on repairing it yourself, consider a VCDS cable/program (Ross tech). You might be familiar with it from your VW.

Great in the snow with the right tires. A dedicated set of snow tires is worth the effort if you need to get around in snow (NY plates, I'll bet you do).