Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Which OBD-II readers to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OBD-II readers to buy?

Ok since I am new to the Audi side of things, I have a regular OBD-II reader. I know that I can not do anything with the Audi with it.

So which Vag-COM should I go for?

Vag505 also what is the big difference in the different ones? Which one will give me the most bang for the buck to change items with the Audi?

Thanks for any and all info that is provided.

Edward
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Edward,

I just got an allroad and it seems most people recommend buying one of the USB cables and full version of the VAG-COM software from Rosstech ($350 ish). Their software only works with their own cables, and will allow you to do everything short of programming your audi to pick you up from the airport.

Rather than paying that much I bought a cheap ebay cable (search for VAG-COM cable) and then downloaded VCDS-lite from rosstech, which is the free software they released that works with the ebay cables.

It has limited functionality, but now that I know how it all works I am going to buy a license from Rosstech ($100), which will allow to me unlock the full features of VCDS-lite.

For me this has just enough bang for my buck, but depending how serious I get I may buy Rosstech's own cable down the road.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started with the Autel VAG505.
This is a good code reader, and does read all the codes the Ross tech unit reads, and it can do the service resets.

It will not do the basic settings and adaptations, or do diagnosis using the measuring blocks etc. To try to print the results was also painful. I used to just use a pen and paper.

Once you need to do 1 adaptation, you commit to the vag-com and then the VAG505 sits up on the shelf with all the other obsolete toys gathering dust.

Just my experience.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Foxwell

Originally Posted by Edward Wright
Ok since I am new to the Audi side of things, I have a regular OBD-II reader. I know that I can not do anything with the Audi with it.

So which Vag-COM should I go for?

Vag505 also what is the big difference in the different ones? Which one will give me the most bang for the buck to change items with the Audi?

Thanks for any and all info that is provided.

Edward
I use the Foxwell NT-500 VAG scanner for two years can do everything
Old 09-20-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mr_Moustachio
Hi Edward,

I just got an allroad and it seems most people recommend buying one of the USB cables and full version of the VAG-COM software from Rosstech ($350 ish). Their software only works with their own cables, and will allow you to do everything short of programming your audi to pick you up from the airport.

Rather than paying that much I bought a cheap ebay cable (search for VAG-COM cable) and then downloaded VCDS-lite from rosstech, which is the free software they released that works with the ebay cables.

It has limited functionality, but now that I know how it all works I am going to buy a license from Rosstech ($100), which will allow to me unlock the full features of VCDS-lite.

For me this has just enough bang for my buck, but depending how serious I get I may buy Rosstech's own cable down the road.
kuddos to you for making that garbage work. I gave up after an hour