Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently having this issue, have not had it addressed yet. I'm in the process of getting quotes and gathering information. Any advice? my first quote was to replace the oil pan gasket, clean it up and trouble shoot from there. HELP!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Find where it is leaking from

Originally Posted by NikkyG
I am currently having this issue, have not had it addressed yet. I'm in the process of getting quotes and gathering information. Any advice? my first quote was to replace the oil pan gasket, clean it up and trouble shoot from there. HELP!
I had this 2005 v8 silver color. I sold it already because of this unfixable engine oil leak problem. At first I thought its oil pan so we replace it. Than some gasket around the engine. We pretty much took out the entire engine to found out nothing. At the end we find out its this one rubber ring around an engine part thats old plus something in the engine casing thats not made precisely that allows the leak. Do not guess. Do not use the try appoach. It will cost u time and money. Get a very good audi mechanic or go back to audi to fix the problem. If i would do it again i would go back to audi to fix it and request that they dont charge extra for not fixing it. Good luck
Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree.
A possible - often - reason is the partially clogged "octopus pipe" so the oil damp hoses which increases the oil damp pressure on the sealings. It usually needs to be exchanged after approx 140k miles.
Or the sealings are really worn / old.

Most common leak sources are the headgaskets, "half moons" of the camshafts the sealings of the variable camshaft actuators which are usually hard to reach and exchange really properly.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
Agree.
A possible - often - reason is the partially clogged "octopus pipe" so the oil damp hoses which increases the oil damp pressure on the sealings. It usually needs to be exchanged after approx 140k miles.
Or the sealings are really worn / old.

Most common leak sources are the headgaskets, "half moons" of the camshafts the sealings of the variable camshaft actuators which are usually hard to reach and exchange really properly.
You mean valve cover gaskets. Or cylinder head cover gaskets. The Head gaskets, as in the gasket between the block and head do not leak oil on these engines.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, valve cover gaskets, sorry
Old 04-10-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's interesting that throughout this entire thread no one mentioned checking the crankcase ventilation system. New crankcase breathers for the 4.2 liter engine are available for between $60 and $90. After the usual items are checked and dealt with (valve cover gaskets, cam/crank seals), it is important to ensure that the crankcase breather is not blocked and is functioning correctly. With people doing 10,000 mile oil changes, the likelihood of sticky or clogged crankcase ventilation components increases significantly. Always inspect these parts when dealing with oil leaks. Never just replace a leaky seal or cover gasket without checking it. Excessive crankcase pressure will blow out new seals/gaskets in pretty short order.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info, had the oil pan gasket replaced and the rubber ring that Chinatown is referring too. Use a guy in Pembroke, MA (Bob Mann Dr. Volks). Hard to build trust after a single experience but he was straightforward and definitely knows what he's doing.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's likely burning oil, rather than leaking. Known problem with the 4.2L engines. Mine burns it like mad. Leaks as well, but imagine pouring a quart of oil on the engine. An entire quart (or more) finding its way to the belly pan and all over the engine/transmission, floor pan, would be obvious.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CJKaz
It's likely burning oil, rather than leaking. Known problem with the 4.2L engines. Mine burns it like mad. Leaks as well, but imagine pouring a quart of oil on the engine. An entire quart (or more) finding its way to the belly pan and all over the engine/transmission, floor pan, would be obvious.
Usually this issue is related to the breather system. Like it is blocked up, or stuck open. If its blocked say the drain back to the engine, the oil will just be pulled into the intake. The oil separator should put the oil back to the engine and the vapors back into the intake to be burned. If the breather valve is just stuck open and putting to much vacuum on the crankcase it will pull in much more oil. These engines dont seem to be known for bad valve guides or rings. But I imagine poor maintenance would carbon up the oil control rings and increase consumption. 10k+ mile oil changes do not do engines any good in my experience.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2005 A8L with 147K miles uses less than a quart in 10K miles. With the belly pan off you can see it is seeping a little oil but not enough to leave a drip on the ground. My passenger side valve cover is leaking a little onto the exhaust which sucks but I just havn't had time to change it. I have a new PCV valve to install when I do the valve cover gaskets. I think the PCV system is the biggest cause of oil leaks in these motors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!