Opportunity to buy a 03 A6 Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opportunity to buy a 03 A6 Allroad

y'all

First time posting to this site and looking for some good inside information

I have the opportunity to buy a 03 A6 Allroad its a manual with the 2.7L bi-Turbo

The run down

171,xxx miles - 6 speed

New Brakes - Water Pump - Timing Belt

Haven't had the chance to go look at it yet

With the miles and totally unsure about the previous owner(s) what should i be aware of?

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do research on air suspension, control arms, and oil leaks. Those are the main things that you should read up on and look for issues with.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go read this:
quattroworld.com Forums: Audi allroad Buyers Guide! By GRAGRAVAR
Then make a decision.
Good luck!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the write up... Read every word of it. Great in-depth knowledge about the car. Off to look at the car today. Wish me well. I am bit concerned now about the high mileage. Turbos - exhaust - ball joints - Mainly Turbos

Thanks again

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Might turn to the dark side.. Audi
Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Couple questions for y'all post test drive

Air-ride - The button on the dash seemed to blink a bit more than it should. It went to 3 different levels Low - Medium - High - and the seller informed me that it also went to another height - My question is how fast is it supposed to change? I was under the impression that it was automatic based on driving speed (true)?

Color - I am going to post a picture. Never seen this option of color before? Is it a true factory job? Also, if I have the vin number can I run some kind of test to find out factory info? BMW has a website... thought maybe Audi would too.

Center console - by the hand brake there was a missing piece of trim. A hole down to the floor and inside this 2 inch wide 4 inch long hole was a female connector for something - Any idea what this could be for?

Question about the gear box linkage - The linkage seems to be in great shape. Easy to move from one gear to the next without play. Seemed like everything was lined up too. Did the clutch test (floor it in first and see if it pops out) and it passed with flying colors. My only concern is about the gears. It seems as though it would shake, wobble, move the slightest amount once it was put into gear. Common or some type of weird issue?

Overall the car seems like it was in fairly great shape. If the question about the gear box comes back without worry then I think ill make an offer.

I appreciate all the feedback and thanks for the insight.

Unsure about why the pics are side ways - you understand the idea!
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing levels should take anywhere from 15 to about 40 seconds for each level change (1-2, 2-3, 3-4). Any longer could indicate that the compressor needs a rebuild kit from bagpipinandy.

Burgundy is one of my favorite colors - yes, factory original.

Center console hole sounds like the place where the pop-up cup-holder goes. They're about $96.

Gearbox shake may be due to transmission mounts being worn.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 170,000+ miles, unless you're an experienced mechanic or have a lot of money to spend, I wouldn't do it. Count on $2000-$3000 for fixing air suspension issues. Replacing turbos can be $7000-$10,000, which effectively makes the car worthless. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you really want a manual, (and you should, I have one and they are great) take your time in finding a much lower mileage car, say around 100k or less if possible. Spend more money on a known, sound car rather than a less expensive high mileage car probably needing very expensive repairs. Also you'll need a really good independent mechanic to take it to for service and repairs as Audi service will devour your savings. And as for the maroon paint, it is factory, just don't see to many of them. Good luck.