Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Please help!! Floor boards full of water.. can't solve!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!! Floor boards full of water.. can't solve!

My 2004 Allroad has standing water in the driver rear seat passenger floorboard (under driver seat area). My car has been sitting for about a week so I'm sure this exacerbated the problem. I checked the cowl area and around the battery and there are no debris or water. I also checked the sunroof area by putting it in full back position and it looks clean with no clogs on the drains.

I just pulled up the carpet and it is soaked and I am hoping to solve this before it ruins any electronics if it hasn't already.

If anyone has advice on where to look next I would greatly appreciate.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was too much adhesive squeezed out at the bottom of the windshield by some window monkey so that the mess held the cowl trim away from the glass and water seeped through the cabin air filter. But the mess was on the passenger side. Mine was parked with the rear wheels lower than the fronts.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since you say it's on the driver's side rear seat area, perhaps you should check your sunroof drains.
That would be a more likely source for water in the rear seat, unless, of course, the floor in the front is soaked too and it's running back.
Other things to check would be window and door seals near the problem.
Good luck.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on rechecking all of the drains. I had the typical passenger side wet carpet and had all of the drains blown out at the shop and I've never had a drop of water inside since. I would take it to a shop and get all of the drains blown out.

Good luck!

Rick
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would not recommend 'blowing' the roof drains clean with air....it can dislodge the connections at the bottom. BTDT on mine.

Try a long piece of weed wacker string down the drain tubes....no need to bring it to a shop IMO.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had that happen in an old Passat of mine. Had 2" of water in the rear passenger seat footwell, and turned out it was leaking water from the lower driver side windshield.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't the drains for the sunroof exit between the top and bottom front door hinges ...Mine do
Just carefully run water into the front of the sunroof when open and watch for it to come out of the drain lines

I had another car, The seal between the inner door panel and door came unstuck at the bottom and leaked water inside the car,
Run water down outside of window and see it it enters car ...Its wet anyway
Old 01-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also having this problem (front carpet soaked on both sides). I have confirmed that both the cowl (battery bay section) and roof drains, drain and flow well, by pouring water in each side and observing.

I am now suspecting a bad windshield job. after looking at the uneven gasket work at the top in each corner and the bezel trim strips on each side being gaped.

Does anyone know if there are any particular steps needed, specifically, for Audi windshields?

I bought this about 2 months ago, so while i know the windshield was replaced, I have no idea where.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

The passenger side lower window trim is really tricky. It looks completely installed...but it can still be loose. My '99 took a lot of water in this way...drove me crazy until I figured it out. We managed to salvage the TCU.

My new (to me) allroad had exactly the same problem. Unfortunately (for the previous owner) it sat awhile accumulating water. The TCU and connectors were not salvageable.

Pull the carpet NOW and get all the water out. You could run a shopvac for days and not get more than 10% of the water out. Most of the water will be below the carpet, so either you need to pull the carpet or turn the car upside down to drain it out.

Then have a GOOD independent glass guy evaluate the windshield installation. Best case -- he'll give the trim a good shove and you'll be all set. Worst case, he'll have to pull the windshield and reinstall (more likely replace) it.

But do not wait...REMOVE THE CARPET NOW!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So Im not sure, but maybe you have same thing i had to deal with. This ( on picture ) is a pipe which is going from your window washer tank to your rear window ( Under neat your carpets inside the car ). And if you would have a hole in it, even tiny as i had, from the pressure you make, liquid will be spilled out quite a lot i your cabin, not on your window. If the liquid comes just fine to your rear window and there is no delay then i believe this is not your case. But you could check that one.

02' Audi Allroad 2.7 BiTurbo ( Silver )