Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

REALLY bad gas mileage... What do you get for mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get close to 22 (21.8) combined now on the 6 speed...with stage 1 O.CT chip (wife drives it alot) 8-)

I recently did a top end clean, throttle body clean and the fuel system treatment (Wurth stuff) b/c the mileage had dropped down to just below 20 (19.7) combined. Alot of junk collected over the 170K and 10 years ! I recommend this type of cleaning to any turbo owner. Car idles much smoother and seems to run much better.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its good to hear some get better MPG since I am shopping for an allroad.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6speed, 14-15mpg 75% city/suburbs gunning, 25% highway gunning or over 80mph all the time. Car in tip top shape. Since I could never get above 16-17 when driving like a grandpa, I said screw it and just have fun. Stage 3 though.

I only drive 12 miles each way to work so no big deal gas wise but if I had much longer to drive, I think I would buy a different car for long tripping. I would delegate Allroad to weekend car status due to horrible fuel economy for its size. I get much better gas mileage (22mpg easy) on wife's X5...

Part of the problem with Allroad MPG is due to its gearing. I don't know of a single other car that spins engine in 6th gear at 3.5k rpms while driving 80mph... which is why it eats so much fuel. Almost like there was a code in its computer which says "If rpm> 3000 then punish driver".
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I get about 260 miles on a full tank during the winter...and about 360 miles during the summer. I got a 6 mt stock and I usually drive like a grandpa only until the oil gets above min operating temperature, and after that I have fun driving (I have a 2 point slow Jetta if I want mileage).
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife averages 14mpg in her 2004 auto, but she's almost always in the city and she thinks she's Mario Andretti!

When I drive, mostly on the highway, I average right at 20 at 70 - 75 mph.

She only puts about 5k a year on her car as her work commute is less than 3 miles and she only works 3 days a week, so I consider it a "fun tax" for her, and just grin and bear it.

My commute is 40 miles, so I drive a MINI Cooper.....

My E-Type averages 15mpg, BTW.....
Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since I bought the car I average 22.2 MPG (according to the trip computer). Last week I was able to squeeze 370 miles out of the tank! We have a auto with no mods, 86K on the clock.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought my 2001 in Nov with 75K (my first post 8-D I have been lurking for a while).

I have been getting 18 - 20, which is a 50% improvement over the 12.5 I got with the Durango it replaced! I figure I am balanced out by the wifey's Prius.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We consistently pull 19-20 with our '03 2.7 tip (APR stage I) with cruise set at 70-72. Any higher speeds knock it down to 16-18. On relatively flat terrain I've managed to get 21. 58k on the clock--and I don't even look at mpg when most of the tank is spent in the rush hour stop and go grind...
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's worth checking for any "soft" codes. These would be intermittent codes stored by the ECU that it felt didn't warrant turning on the CEL. I know that I had a re-occuring code for a bad Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor. I would clear it and it would come back a day or so later. If one (or both) of your EGT's are not functioning properly, that will affect mileage big time. EGTS tells car the temp of the exhaust. If the sensor is broken and is always telling the ecu the exahaust temp is too high, the ECU will constantly be trying to dump extra fuel into the engine to cool off the burn. (more fuel = rich = cooler burn / less fuel = lean = hotter burn) That's where excessive fuel consumption can come into play.

I sometimes wonder how many AR's (or Audi's in general) are driving around with bad EGT's and getting crappy mileage but no one scans the car because the CEL light hasn't come on......

THere's something wacky with Audi Programmers as I can completely unplug either of my EGTS's and no codes of any kind come up.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by swamper8
It's worth checking for any "soft" codes. These would be intermittent codes stored by the ECU that it felt didn't warrant turning on the CEL. I know that I had a re-occuring code for a bad Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor. I would clear it and it would come back a day or so later. If one (or both) of your EGT's are not functioning properly, that will affect mileage big time. EGTS tells car the temp of the exhaust. If the sensor is broken and is always telling the ecu the exahaust temp is too high, the ECU will constantly be trying to dump extra fuel into the engine to cool off the burn. (more fuel = rich = cooler burn / less fuel = lean = hotter burn) That's where excessive fuel consumption can come into play.

I sometimes wonder how many AR's (or Audi's in general) are driving around with bad EGT's and getting crappy mileage but no one scans the car because the CEL light hasn't come on......

THere's something wacky with Audi Programmers as I can completely unplug either of my EGTS's and no codes of any kind come up.
Thanks, that is a good tip. Something else to check. I didn't even know what EGT was. How do you scan for a "soft" code? Do you need the vag com?

Quick Reply: REALLY bad gas mileage... What do you get for mileage?