Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

REALLY bad gas mileage... What do you get for mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great tune... And to get that kind of mileage in the city, I pretty much don't go into boost at all.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can we not edit our posts on AW? That's annoying.

I've found that keeping it under 3k rpm on the highway makes a big difference, but that's about 70mph ish I think?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N'Syncro
A great tune... And to get that kind of mileage in the city, I pretty much don't go into boost at all.
What did you do on your tune? I have replaced the spark plugs, put in a new K & N filter, just cleaned the MAF, does not seem to have done much (still working through the first full tank)... I just had the timing belt service done...

Checked for codes and I don't have any o2 sensors or egt sensor codes, still getting around 16 on the highway...(75 to 80mph) Auto trans though...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm talking "tune" as in ECU reflash for the Stage 3 hardware, not tune-up.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N'Syncro
On the highway going about 75mpg I get 23-24mpg (US) / 10L/100km (CAN) calculated by me, not my trip computer (even though i've calibrated it to read 10% higher than from the factory.)

City I can get about 17-18mpg (US) / 13.5L/100km (CAN) if I stay off the gas. That's pure city, no highway, no freeway even. Lots of short trips (5miles or less) driving around at 30-50mph

It's a huge increase from my 2.slow Mk3 Jetta, but for what it is, i'm pretty happy with it.

2.7T Stage 3 6MT

So what is the trip computer telling you?
mine says 12.8l/100km
but that doesnt seem correct to to me
I only get about 425km to a tank and were about 1.527c/l for 91 octane

I have a APR 91 flash, hyperboost DVs

and now a cam tensioner problem
Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default EGT-A-No-Go !!!!!

So I'm getting 13 awful MPG in my 2005 AR 2.7 Auto w/ 130K. My frustration has reached a boiling point. I spent $900 replacing the EGT sensors. I got 325 miles afterwards then, inexplicable, the millage went back to the **** poor 13 MPG and am getting 260 miles/tank on a good day (15.3mpg). I am not getting any faults and I always drive below 80 often below 70. I spent so much money trying to fix the gas millage it almost isn't worth putting any more money into it. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have engine light on?

If not, next up is oxygen sensor replacement.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thejulex
Do you have engine light on?

If not, next up is oxygen sensor replacement.
Agreed....but, even with no CEL, I'd still do a VCDS reading anyway, to look for any codes pointing to the EGT's, even though new.

After the first scan (and erasing code), my wife's Allroad's failed EGT's quit tripping the code, even though the engine was still in constant super-rich limp mode. BUT the mileage never got quite as bad as yours...not on the highway, anyway.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think I know what the problem is as I had the same bad gas mileage myself.. Unfortunately, you are not going to like the answer...Audi does not have any sensors down on the turbo's.. I drove mine for 2 years with bad gas mileage and thought it was normal. Then my left turbo starting leaking oil and I dumped $6k into pulling the motor, putting new turbo's in and doing extra insulating of the oil supply and return lines to keep the oil from getting hot BEFORE and after the turbo...We'll, I'm looking the turbos when I was changing them and the 'waste gate actuator' was stuck open on driver side (90% of turbo failures are drivers side!) !!! It had obviously been this way, probably for over 20k miles of driving. I couldn't even move it after 30 minutes from my torches. It never felt weird driving, never kicked out a code, but the one thing it did have was bad gas mileage. There is some electronic accommodation done for the fact that the pressure never built up in that turbo, the work around, give it more gas.. I got the motor back together (6-spd) and voila, it immediately starting getting 21-22mpg on the highway and 18 in town instead of the dreaded 15 on the highway.. The car just runs awesome now..
My buddy who's a mechanic has seen this on about a dozen AR's.. I think it's a secret and the flag to sell your AR.. Be REAL leary of buying an AR without being able to check to see if the 'waste gate actuator' on the left turbo is functioning. The only way to check it that I know is to beat the snot out of the car WHILE it's on the lift... Good luck getting a shop to let you do this. If you look up with a flashlight just right, you may be able to see the actuator do it's thing.. I have never seen this talked about in any of the forums but I know it's the root cause of my poor gas mileag.... When I mentioned this phenomena to another AR mechanic that I don't trust, he wouldn't look me in the eye to discuss the situation. I think it's a known secret out there in the underworld of shading AR's sales.. Buyer beware...
Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

WOW "Vermonta" ! That is something else, you are right, never have I heard about this before. I got a 2001 Auto with ~185K on now, I've had the car for several years since about 20K and have religiously changed my oil, Mobi-1 Synthetic every 3-5K. I am getting 21.5 on the highway ..... for years. I guess my turrrrbo actuator is not stuck but it is starting to leak oil I'm told. I guess reading everyone elses headaches about MPG I should be happy. My problem is now the engine light is on and I'm told I have to check on "solenoids", not being a mechanic, the word alone sounds expensive, so I am going to get a VAG-COM and tool around with that one, no I have not even had VAG-COM yet. I had passenger side exhaust replaced ~6-months ago, with both CAT's and now I am wondering if the shop just took the old sensors and plugged those in. I have never looked under the car as I don't have a lift and wouldn't know what to look for anyway, and sure as s..t wouldn't rev it up like you did