Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Reverse not working 2003 AR 2.7 turbo tip

Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reverse not working 2003 AR 2.7 turbo tip

Car just hit 100k, and the extended warrrenty ran out. So at 100,400, i start having issues with reverse.
I put the car in reverse and as long as i keep the rpms low (under 2000) it moves. Once i go over that the car stops moving.
Any ideas? Plan on getting it looked at here in the next couple days.
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this happen before, needs new torque converter.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by therwoon
Had this happen before, needs new torque converter.
Not necessarily. The previous owner of my car made the same assumption and wasted about $2500 having it replaced. If you don't have any codes, the TC could be just fine.

If the only symptom is slipping reverse, then the real issue is that the reverse drum is a weak link and the lip breaks. This happens on a lot of vehicles that used this transmission. (including A4s, A6s, BMW 3 series, etc) I have the same issue, and I'm choosing to live with it for the time being. If I lose complete functionality of reverse, I may change my mind.

Some people say that the valve body or solenoids could be at fault, which is true, but most often it will be a wild goose chase, when there's a known issue with the given symptoms.

See the attached picture for the method of failure.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Teutonix; 06-26-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, it just started a day or two ago.
So i guess the other question is will driving with it damage the transmission more.

I was just thinking of driving with it until it did not function anymore.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skideeppow
Thanks, it just started a day or two ago.
So i guess the other question is will driving with it damage the transmission more.

I was just thinking of driving with it until it did not function anymore.

Thanks
Well, since the repair already requires complete removal and rebuild/replacement, the only thing you're risking is needing to eventually be towed. I'm just driving it as-is, knowing that I might get another 2 days or another 2 years out of it. The only reason to get it fixed immediately is to deal with a known quantity. If you wait, in the meantime you can research your options and plan for the eventual repair.

Did your car have a CPO warranty, or was it a 3rd party? If it was CPO, I'd talk to the dealer ASAP and see if they'll work with you on getting partial coverage since it's so close.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Teutonix
Well, since the repair already requires complete removal and rebuild/replacement, the only thing you're risking is needing to eventually be towed. I'm just driving it as-is, knowing that I might get another 2 days or another 2 years out of it. The only reason to get it fixed immediately is to deal with a known quantity. If you wait, in the meantime you can research your options and plan for the eventual repair.

Did your car have a CPO warranty, or was it a 3rd party? If it was CPO, I'd talk to the dealer ASAP and see if they'll work with you on getting partial coverage since it's so close.
No it was third party, so pissed. Serioulsy, 250 miles after the warrenty ended and this.
I was parked today on a slight downhill and i tried to get out of the sport and could barely get out
I guess the question it do i dump more money into this car that just had the tb changed, or do i trade it in and buy something else. Love my AR but just so much to maintain.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

the car is toast. Over 7k to fix and the value is only like 7500. So pissed right now. Huge buyers remorse. Just bought the new timing belt for it 10k ago.
F*&%*&^%*^()*
Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What did you find out?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skideeppow
Car just hit 100k, and the extended warrrenty ran out. So at 100,400, i start having issues with reverse.
I put the car in reverse and as long as i keep the rpms low (under 2000) it moves. Once i go over that the car stops moving.
Any ideas? Plan on getting it looked at here in the next couple days.
Thanks!
hey guys,i did not have no reverse,only when it cold or going down a hill LOL,anyway i got the tranny rebuild and it work fine
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JAMES77257
What did you find out?
Tranny is f*&(ed. Need a total rebuild. Quoting me 7500.
These guys take care of my car, i might be able to find it cheaper.
does that sound right,m 7500?
The car is only worth 8000k best case.
Thinking i might have it rebuilt.
Otherwise i have to get a new car, that will cost me 20k for what i want.
If i spend the 7k, then i have the car i love and should get another couple years out of it.
Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse not working 2003 AR 2.7 turbo tip