Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Roaring SAI and chipping the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:39 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roaring SAI and chipping the car

My "new" allroad (161k miles) has been running great, but when it's cold out it roars like a jet for the first 30-120 seconds the car is on.

From my research, it is probably some combination of "Combi valves" "Y Pipe" and "Secondary Air Injection Pump".

Each of these on their own is somewhat pricey, and it seems like they fail in clusters (oh, the combi valve fails, dumps moisture into the SAI, which then fails, and then when you replace / repair just the SAI it fails after a year because the combi valve(s) are still broken.

Rather than play this game, how many people just chip the car and put in a SAI delete program into their car? Assuming you do that (and then never drive your car on public roads), do you need to remove the SAI hardware? Or can you just leave it on the car until the turbos fail and you take the motor out and have easy access to all the things?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to keep the y pipe, car wont run good without the intake attached
the sai can be done away with, provided you live in a state that doesn't do visual inspections of the engine bay

i removed mine a few weeks ago, the air pump and passenger side combi valve are easy to remove, the driver side is easy after you do a fair amount of cussin at it.
you will need to install these after you remove the sai and assorted plumbing goodies

there is a way to code out the sai from the ecu, not sure if the person is on this forum, but he is over on quattroworld

if you want, my setup is boxed and ready to ship, sai pump,and the assorted tubing that goes between the combi valves.
no valves though, mine are shot
Old 01-30-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tuned my SAI and EGT's out. Bought block off plates for the valves, but haven't installed them yet. Got a stage 1 tune from 034. Tune was cheaper than repairing the issues.