Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Should I buy a 1st gen Allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 1st gen Allroad?

So I've been heavily considering getting a C5 Allroad 2.7t (paired eventually with an APR stage 1 ECU) and I want to get a solid consensus on its reliability and weak points. In some places I've heard they're absolute junk and they require rebuilds before 100K miles, in other places people chant about how they last forever. Here's what I know so far, or what I've been told.

The turbos do not last long and begin to leak oil early in the car's life.
The Tiptronic trans is terrible and also goes out commonly.
The air suspension bags leak.

Are they really that bad?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcFlash
So I've been heavily considering getting a C5 Allroad 2.7t (paired eventually with an APR stage 1 ECU) and I want to get a solid consensus on its reliability and weak points. In some places I've heard they're absolute junk and they require rebuilds before 100K miles, in other places people chant about how they last forever. Here's what I know so far, or what I've been told.

The turbos do not last long and begin to leak oil early in the car's life.
The Tiptronic trans is terrible and also goes out commonly.
The air suspension bags leak.

Are they really that bad?
Buy it if you are willing to wrench on the car yourself and spend more $$ on it than something like a subu... There's a LOT of threads on this forum asking the same question. So a search and just be fully aware of what your getting yourself into.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't do it unless you are willing to work on it and by work on it I mean replace the exhaust down pipes and redo the timing belt and pretty much everything else. These cars go to **** at about 100k+ imo. If you can work on a car and own tools like torque wrenches and can fallow instructions and have money to blow then by all means buy it. I got my allroad in **** condition from my brother for 1K because he was tired of paying to fix it. Luckily I am handy and have tools and I fixed this bastard myself, its not worth paying someone to do it since these cars are worth 3k bluebook. I would also like to add that it is stupid you have to pull the engine to work on the turbos!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

It all depends on how well the car was taken care of. There are people here running original turbos at 200k+ miles. the timing belt is a must change by the 100k mark...MAX.
Plan on having to change the VCGs and related seals. If you can swing a wrench, you can do this yourself.
Besides the above mentioned items, plus the bags and tranny issues, you will mostly be chasing vacuum leaks monthly. I was lucky to get mine with a 30k old tranny, but have a fully 6 speed swap standing by.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are planning on buying a 15 year old car, then installing a stage 1 or more to give it more power than its ever had, then you really need to budget to pull the engine, do the turbos, mounts, timing belt plus every seal, vacuum tube & gaskets. In my experience the motor itself is good and will last the distance, its all the plastic and seals that is just perishing with age that is taking away the enjoyment. I seriously looked at an APR upgrade, the local agent warned me off it with this exact reason.

The suspension is a problem. I spent a lot of time and effort to get mine working again, but its always in the back of your mind that you will go out one day and it will be sitting down on one corner.

But then I go for a long distance drive, and for an old wagon, it really is a nice ride, plenty of power, cruises nice, the air suspension reduces road noise substantially and the full leather interior is comfortable. Its the reason we still drive them knowing all the faults.