Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Silly Question - how do you turn on the fog lights with only the parking lights?

Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly Question - how do you turn on the fog lights with only the parking lights?

I guess I'm missing something. How do you turn on the parking lights and the Fog lights too. On my 2003 Allroad, the only way to get the fogs to come on is with the headlights turned on.

There must be some way to get the fogs on with only the parking lights............... Help!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't unless you do the mod...only with a jumper wire in the fuse box can you do this.

Do a search for it here and in the C4 A6 forums...there are some good threads explaining what to do.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually, if you have the headlight switch recall done, you can switch on the foglamps with the parking lights. Worked for me and many others.
Caveat: this recall might not apply to you. It did apply to my '02. I don't know about '03. Check it out. It's an easy solution and there are rumors that the jumper mathod has caused some fires.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you want to do this? I think the factory designed the switch like this for a reason, so that you use them in conjunction with low beams - that's why they go out when you hit the high beams too.

Why can't people use their fog lights for what they were intended, low visibility conditions instead of to "look cool"? Cause they don't (look cool) driving around with the fogs on - especially the rears - in regular condtions - they look dorky, like you don't know what they're for or how to turn them off.

Resist this ridiculous trend - please!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well Dave, it's like this. In Canada, at least, and I believe pretty much the whole rest of the world you can turn on the fog lamps with the parking lights so that in dense fog you don't have the reflection from the headlights off of the moisture in the air reflecting back in your face under those conditions.
In the US that is illegal because you can have "too amny lights on simultaneously".
However, it does provide extra light low and at the sides for those of us who like to use them that way.
Coolness is not an issue here except in the cases of some very immature people.
The following users liked this post:
Rowdy187 (08-25-2021)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On my '01 I am able to turn on the fogs with only parking lights with the pull of a switch. Maybe the '03's are different. I know there are a handfull of differences between the early models and the later. That reminds me, I was told that on the '01 models there is only one rear fog light. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ADRIFT
On my '01 I am able to turn on the fogs with only parking lights with the pull of a switch. Maybe the '03's are different. I know there are a handfull of differences between the early models and the later. That reminds me, I was told that on the '01 models there is only one rear fog light. Does anyone know if this is true?
my '01 only one rear fog. I read somewhere it was designed to only be on the side with a driver, not sure if that's true. I do know that it's annoying not having two, it makes it look like i don't know i've got a light out.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Werecar
my '01 only one rear fog. I read somewhere it was designed to only be on the side with a driver, not sure if that's true. I do know that it's annoying not having two, it makes it look like i don't know i've got a light out.
Second fog light DIY: https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext20.shtml
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Werecar
Great instruction. I will be doing this for sure