Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Simple question - air ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple question - air ride

Hello, I don't own an Allroad yet, but I'm in the market for one, and I'm going next week to look at one, and I'm hoping y'all can give me some pointers on what to look for, and if there's a way to test the air ride. I'm assuming that if there's a problem with the air springs or whatever that they will sag and whatnot, but if I set it on max height setting and test drive it a little bit, would that be the best way to test it? I know the timing and water pump have already been replaced, the fuel pump, filter, and relay have been replaced, and it's been well maintained. What worries me is that the front air shocks were replaced, but not the rears. Is that a good indicator that the rears will need replacing soon?
Like I said before, I'm just wanting some pointers on what to look out for when I look at it. I used to work as a mechanic, so I know the basics, but I'm kinda new to foreign stuff!
Thank you in advance for any help, it's much appreciated.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diagnosis

Originally Posted by Da11as
Hello, I don't own an Allroad yet, but I'm in the market for one, and I'm going next week to look at one, and I'm hoping y'all can give me some pointers on what to look for, and if there's a way to test the air ride. I'm assuming that if there's a problem with the air springs or whatever that they will sag and whatnot, but if I set it on max height setting and test drive it a little bit, would that be the best way to test it? I know the timing and water pump have already been replaced, the fuel pump, filter, and relay have been replaced, and it's been well maintained. What worries me is that the front air shocks were replaced, but not the rears. Is that a good indicator that the rears will need replacing soon?
Like I said before, I'm just wanting some pointers on what to look out for when I look at it. I used to work as a mechanic, so I know the basics, but I'm kinda new to foreign stuff!
If you have a VAG scanner, Fault codes can tell you about the state of the vehicle. If you intend to purchase an audi allroad you must have one! And be ready to dirty your hands. Regard to your question, Air spring failure usually start happens at the height level 2, But it can take ...3-24... hours
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a code scanner, but I'm not sure if it can read Audis. I've already started researching the vag-can scanners on eBay, do those usb cables on there require certain software to program and such? The few I've looked at come with some disk, but they don't list any specific software or anything. I'm going Tuesday to look at an 05 Allroad, I'm pretty excited!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Stay away from the eBay scanners. Get your VAG-Com directly from Ross Tech.

Without the software, I would run the car from level 1 to level 4 and see how long it takes. If the compressor times out, you most likely have a leak or need a compressor rebuild.

Also, check around the heads to see if you have oil leakage. Expensive to have fixed, time consuming to do on your own.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd purchase from some of the Ross Tech resellers, such as Europarts. They charge less for shipping that Ross does.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thank you

Thank you for your help! I'll be having some more questions sooner or later, but so far the search function on here has helped quite a bit.

Those are pictures of the one I'm going to look at Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da11as
Best test for airbag leaks is park it at level 1, any major leaks and the car will sink in less than 15 mins, if the car is high when you arrive i would also be suspisious, definetely part at the lowest level 1 and then check the rest of the car over while leaving it parked at 1

if any corner does sink its easy enough to fix but knock a good bit off the price

regards

Andy
Old 08-19-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Amazing shape!

Well I bought it yesterday! No sag after looking at it, next morning, still no sag, so I think I lucked out for now. It was a forty mile drive home, in the rain, and it was amazing! Engine makes no noise, seller had all the service records and all the normal stuff (timing belt, water pump, valve covers, air bags, air bag compressor, fuel pump) was done between 160,000 miles and 190,000 miles. New tires at 185,000, interior in great shape, headlights are hazy, but no biggie. The front seat armrest lid catch is broken, but that's not too concerning, got about 23 mpg on the drive home, which was nice! Has a broken passenger side fog light, so I'll need to replace those of anyone has a set or just one they want to sell me on the cheap. Check engine light is on for a couple of emissions things, but nothing I care too much about right now. Took some pictures just now before I head up to the DMV to get plates and such.

Anyways, thank you all for the help so far! I'm sure I'll be having more soon!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it looks like you have it set to level 3 or 4. My bags leak bad if I leave it at 2, but if I leave it at 3, they hold. Just something to check out.
Overall, looks very clean and well maintained. Good luck, and enjoy it!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I left it at one over night, and raised it back up before the pictures. Lol I just drove it across town and it is so nice!