Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

snow chains

Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, but for some of us ...

...for example, California drivers, it is illegal to drive in snowy conditions (R1-R3) without carrying chains.

Sure, we can get away with "carrying" a $30 ill-fitting pair of chains in the back, but I'm going to look into these new K-Summits from Thule. Looks like low clearance, easy on/off and no interference with the inside of the wheel (braking, ABS, etc.).

Anyone tried these on an allroad?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ARgoyle
...for example, California drivers, it is illegal to drive in snowy conditions (R1-R3) without carrying chains.
Not for AWD cars.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Judge AR
Not for AWD cars.
Not true...read

What are the dates for the chain law? California does not have any specific dates when vehicles are required to carry chains. When the road is posted with a sign requiring chains, all heavy-duty vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) must be equipped with chains mounted on the tires in order to proceed. Depending on the severity of road conditions, some vehicles (passenger cars, 4-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires) may not be required to install chains at that point. The exceptions will be posted on the sign.
Must chains be carried in exempted vehicles?
Vehicles without chains are not permitted to enter chain control areas and must return to a lower elevation where chains are not required. There is no provision to park vehicles at chain control check points.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...de/chains.html
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sure, we can get away with "carrying" a $30 ill-fitting pair of chains in the back, but I'm going to look into these new K-Summits from Thule. Looks like low clearance, easy on/off and no interference with the inside of the wheel (braking, ABS, etc.).

Wow! NICE but it's $405/pair. Anyway, check out these two reviews...
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2OIN4T...R2OIN4T9QR0YV8

I am now really itchin' to buy new set of tires...anyone interested in buying summer tires? See classified for lower price!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default In the Tahoe area the chains are not required if 4WD or AWD

Never had an issue to pass through chain control with my passat 4motion or the allroad and always used all-season tires and no chains.
On the other hand I am unsure i'd go there with summer tires and no chains during a winter storm.

Originally Posted by doobiesdaddy
Not true...read

What are the dates for the chain law? California does not have any specific dates when vehicles are required to carry chains. When the road is posted with a sign requiring chains, all heavy-duty vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) must be equipped with chains mounted on the tires in order to proceed. Depending on the severity of road conditions, some vehicles (passenger cars, 4-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires) may not be required to install chains at that point. The exceptions will be posted on the sign.
Must chains be carried in exempted vehicles?
Vehicles without chains are not permitted to enter chain control areas and must return to a lower elevation where chains are not required. There is no provision to park vehicles at chain control check points.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...de/chains.html
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Chains laws are for trucks, not cars. I live in Denver and when the "chain lights" are flashing the truckers pull over and the cars keep going.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, I was wrong, however it looks like there are extreme cases in California where you must have chains on all wheel drive vehicles. However, snow tires get you a long way. See below. Taken from: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Types of Chain Controls:

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you often see R3?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default R3

If conditions get to R3 the road is usually closed.

But to clarify there are two sets of laws, the R1-R3 describe when chains must be used however when entering all "R" condition areas chains must be carried (somwhere in the car) based upon the possibility that conditions will worsen while you are on the road. If you do get in an accident and don't have chains "in" the car, then you will be cited.

Personally I back-country ski overnight and often come back to dig out my car. The roads are sometimes R3 and closed, and I usually bivouac until conditions improve. But you never know.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by miataroadster
So since we do not get a LOT of snow here in SoCal, I've decided to buy all-season tires and carry along the chains(for show-to the very kind CHP Officer):-
Exactly what I did going to Mammoth and Big Bear when I had a 2001 S4. I'm now looking at buying a 2005.