Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Sudden dead battery

Old 11-06-2015, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden dead battery

I have an '01 Allroad 2.7T. I drove the car about a week and a half ago, and had no problems with starting. I had the car parked on a hill (passenger side was higher) since then. I went to start it two nights ago, and it was completely dead. No lights, clicking, even the alarm lights on the doors weren't blinking. I was able to jump it , and the volt gauge jumped over 14 volts. I let it idle for a while, then ran for gas. The car started fine at the station. By the time I got home, the volts were just over 12.

My question is about the suspension. Does it function when the car is off? As soon as I connected the jumper cables, are heard the purge valve on the pump release. With my front bags leaking, I'm hoping the car isn't trying to level itself while parked. I have it in manual mode, parked at level 3 right now to see what happens.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The car will try to level itself after it's turned off, but it doesn't keep doing it, so it wouldn't drain the battery on its own (although what happens if there's a leak in the air suspension and it can't keep it level is a question I don't know the answer to). But most likely you just need a new battery, they go bad all of a sudden, I just had to replace one in my truck that seemed to be working perfectly the day before.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW you can push the up and down levelling arrows at the same time for cca 6 seconds. The LCM module switches off. No power drain , no levelling at all. Important: jumping the car form foreign battery and similar actions can kill the level control module (LCM module). So do the LCM into "service mode" prior to batt change and tyre change.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I placed the car in "jack mode", and 2 days later, she's dead again. I found a sticker on the side of the battery, saying "Delivered Aug 2012". I guess it's time to cough up another $200.

Now I just have to pull my radio, because the card with my radio code is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by MrKid; 11-07-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the battery connections. If the voltage rises to 14V fast it means that there is no resistance from the battery. Poor battery connections \ dead battery
Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

it only hits 14 volts after being jumped from stone dead. I drove around after jumping it, and the car restarted twice fine. The volt meter was back down to just over 12 volts after 5 miles of driving. This tells me the connections are good, and the alternator is good.
The only other problem could be a parasitic drain. I can't find anything running, and with the age of the battery, I should replace it anyway before winter.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
I have an '01 Allroad 2.7T. I drove the car about a week and a half ago, and had no problems with starting. I had the car parked on a hill (passenger side was higher) since then. I went to start it two nights ago, and it was completely dead. No lights, clicking, even the alarm lights on the doors weren't blinking. I was able to jump it , and the volt gauge jumped over 14 volts. I let it idle for a while, then ran for gas. The car started fine at the station. By the time I got home, the volts were just over 12.

My question is about the suspension. Does it function when the car is off? As soon as I connected the jumper cables, are heard the purge valve on the pump release. With my front bags leaking, I'm hoping the car isn't trying to level itself while parked. I have it in manual mode, parked at level 3 right now to see what happens.
Under certain conditions, yes. Year of production 2001 opening the driver's door, rear cargo door, etc. But the system uses air pressure that exists in the pressure tank And not Activate the compressor. (Current consumption is negligible) For more information you can google for SSP243
A new battery is always good. Just make sure there is no aparasite leakage in the system...

Last edited by amiram; 11-08-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
it only hits 14 volts after being jumped from stone dead. I drove around after jumping it, and the car restarted twice fine. The volt meter was back down to just over 12 volts after 5 miles of driving. This tells me the connections are good, and the alternator is good.
The only other problem could be a parasitic drain. I can't find anything running, and with the age of the battery, I should replace it anyway before winter.
No, it is not so correct.
If your voltage falling to 12 V after 5 miles it meaning that your alternator was heated and doesn't work properly. Potential root cause could be damage of contact rotor rings. Connection between ring and wire was loose after heating (like trembling).
It is heavy issue. Light issue - brushes on the alternator.
Need to take diagnostic tools (VAG-COM or anything else) and check value of voltage during heating - not necessary to drive, to monitor engine temperature, RPM and voltage.
From my experience with jumps of voltage:
- alternator "Valeo" is prone to rotor failure;
- alternator "Bosch" is prone to brushes unit failure;
- fault of glow plugs relay on a TDI.
Some time need to be check "negative" wire connection to the engine, but once we found overload by the air compressor (it was damaged).

If you want to check battery condition, you must remove it and full fill up during 10 hours. After that, keep battery half or one hours without filling and check voltage. If voltage will be less then 11-11.5 V, you can utilize it. If voltage 12.5-13 V - everything clear and battery still alive.

Radio code you can find in your service book. You can request code by VIN from your nearest Audi's dealer. You can remove your radio and read code from back side.

Have a nice inspection!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the charging system voltage dropped to 12 V while driving, the problem is in the alternator (Brushes - charging regulator - (2002 and above) ECU.
I'm not sure that MrKid meant to this
Old 11-11-2015, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Changing the battery seems to have done the trick. The volt meter stays at or just below 14 volts, regardless of outside temp, current load, and length of time the car has been sitting. The cables are really good shape, possible new.
Not sure why the gauge was dropping to 12 volts with the old battery. Possible the alternator was giving up, do to the battery not charging properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden dead battery