Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension Issue - won't raise, dash light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Issue - won't raise, dash light

Hi again,

I've read a lot of posts about suspension issues but thought I'd throw mine out as well because I don't seem to have exactly the same symptoms as some others.

1. My ride height seems to remain a constant 2. There are no leaks or sagging from the bags themselves. Front bags replaced by previous owner fairly recently.

2. I replaced the compressor with one off eBay that "worked when it was taken off the car". When I tried it after replacing the pump it did go to level 3 with little issue. However the next day it went back to struggling to go to 3 and eventually error out.

3. I have 2 error codes: 01772 signal from level control pressure sensor (G291) , Implausible Signal - Intermittent
01400 Suspension Level Control , Control Limit Not Reached - Intermittent

This seems to be more pronounced when it's colder (I live in MT). So the car is drivable, I don't have to worry about one side sagging, etc, but it does not adjust height and the light often comes on in the dash display.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking I should check the brown line that comes out of the pump... with those plastic threads I was thinking there may be some leakage there. Not sure how to fix that except with some Teflon tape or something similar.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the compressor come on when you try to raise it up or does it just give you the error? I'm thinking that the compressor needs to be rebuilt. It's trying to build pressure but it can't with a worn out piston ring and times out giving you the error light.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It does run, goes on for quite a while before eventually giving the light of doom.

Funny thing is PO said they rebuilt the existing compressor (that I removed because it didn't work either). I do have a rebuild kit I could put in the compressor that's in it now. I could do that, check the threads on the line from the pump at the same time.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brundlefly
It does run, goes on for quite a while before eventually giving the light of doom.

Funny thing is PO said they rebuilt the existing compressor (that I removed because it didn't work either). I do have a rebuild kit I could put in the compressor that's in it now. I could do that, check the threads on the line from the pump at the same time.
Rebuilding the current with a kit from bagpipinandy is probably going to cure your issue. You may also have a sensor that needs attention. You won't know that until after the compressor rebuild.
Good luck!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, I have the bagpipingandy kit. Rather that potentially re-rebuild the stock compressor I will add the rings to the one I have in. Think I will just do it in place, I understand that is possible and removal while not impossible was not that fun. I never can get the hang of the electrical connectors and how they come off!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I have the bagpipingandy kit. Rather that potentially re-rebuild the stock compressor I will add the rings to the one I have in. Think I will just do it in place, I understand that is possible and removal while not impossible was not that fun. I never can get the hang of the electrical connectors and how they come off!
I need to do this on one of mine too. Not looking forward to it.
Good luck!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I'll post progress I guess. Weird thing is my car said it was at level 1 tonight, light came on, but I measured it at about 40 CM from mid hub cap to fender edge which is, I think, about normal for level 2. It's like it never goes off level 2 but it thinks it is or needs to.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll post progress I guess. Weird thing is my car said it was at level 1 tonight, light came on, but I measured it at about 40 CM from mid hub cap to fender edge which is, I think, about normal for level 2. It's like it never goes off level 2 but it thinks it is or needs to.
Hi,

The codes and description do point to the compressor being weak,

although i too have seen the level 2 position light on but the car looks like level 1 again it was low pressure and it just hovering between level 2 and level 1 because the car just low on air pressure,

next step fit the kit and report if it fixes it

regards

Andy
Old 12-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will do. Sadly I won't be able to before this weekend.

Any thoughts on the plastic threads on the compressor? If they seem stripped does anyone have experience with that? Will Teflon tape help or would an adhesive be a more airtight solution?

For posterity today the car was exhibiting a flashing light at level 1 and a flashing dashboard light. Still seems to be at 40 cm.

If the pump repair fixes all of this I'll be very happy.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK I couldn't wait, this was killing me.

I tried to rebuild the pump I'd put in last week. Sadly one of the torx screws broke part way out of the pump head so the whole thing had to come out again. Sigh.

So my original pump went back in after adding Andy's kit to it.

The good news is that the car went up to level 4 for the first time since I've owned it! I left it there for a while to show the wife when she got back home, which was quite a while later.

After she got back I dropped it to level 2 with no issues. Then I tried to bring it back to level 3. This time it did throw an error. After shutting the car off and turning it back on I was able to get to 3.

I'm not sure if I was expecting miracles or what, I was happy to see it change levels but I was a little disturbed to see it throw that error between level 2 and 3 simply sitting. It was quite a time after going up to level 4 so I don't think it overheated.

Thoughts? Or is this "good enough"? I'm not sure what to expect.

The kit was really easy to put in, for those that haven't done it. It would have worked fine wit the pump still on the vehicle, had the other bolt not snapped.

Quick Reply: Suspension Issue - won't raise, dash light