Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike B
Just replaced all CA's on my '02. Expensive; just under $2k including labor. The car drives like a new car now.
Now my '03 is starting to clatter. Here goes the bank account.
Ouch! $2000 is tough to swallow but I guess that's about right when the parts alone are around $900 or so for all the control arms.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could also be play in the axle.

I have some play in the tolerance on the inner CV Joint on one of my axles.
And some slop in the Transfer case output bearing for that axle.

The combination causes a nice little rattle over some bumps.

I probably need a new axle and somebody to inspect the bearing at the Tcase output.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G0to60
Ouch! $2000 is tough to swallow but I guess that's about right when the parts alone are around $900 or so for all the control arms.
parts are $900+ - Europa was the best place for an entire kit (of real OEM TRW and Lemfroder parts and not china crap), including all new hardware, sway bar links, and the new style HD TRE. After doing it, it really does feel like a new car. Like driving on a rail.

It was actually an easy DIY. A few hours each side. Lots of DIYs and YouTubes on A6s, which are close enough. Simply take off the strut and replace CAs one at a time. Make sure you have lots of 16mm and 18 mm wrenches, sockets and a pickle fork. Pinch bolts slide right out. Good time to check (and replace if nec) the outer CV books which allroads love to eat.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeeksAR
I have some play in the tolerance on the inner CV Joint on one of my axles.
I found joint play to cause vibration, not a knocking noise.

The inner joint is called a tripod joint, while the outer is a CV or more properly a Repza joint. Replaced both frt axles before selling my AR at 127k, wife and I were shocked how all the vibration left front end. At 127k, found no play in the out CV/Repza jts, but lots of play in the inner tripod joints. I had thought, incorrectly, it was only the outer joints on cv axles that wear. Because of the air suspension (and varying car height), ARs have really inner long tripod joints.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G0to60
So, I looked it up and I bought the parts from ECS and the total including labor was actually $1667.
Not too bad, IMO.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
parts from ECS
IMHO I would not recommend ECS for allroad CA kits - they seem to only sell Febi or Meyle upper control arms (and even the worst of crap Uro) - both companies are made-up marketing low bid operations that just use an German address to look German, although their stuff is anything but German OES/OEM. Even ECS has to use TRW for the lowers for allroads because not even the Chinese do not make knock offs for the longer length AR lower CAs.

OES/OEM was Lemfroder for the Uppers and TRW Germany for the lowers.

An Audi/TRW/Lemfroder OEM kit at Europa goes for the same price as ECS with Meyle/China uppers.

And its the uppers that go first.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I got my kit from Europaparts and they were either OEM or TRW. Good parts and no issues after ~45k miles or so.

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
IMHO I would not recommend ECS for allroad CA kits - they seem to only sell Febi or Meyle upper control arms (and even the worst of crap Uro) - both companies are made-up marketing low bid operations that just use an German address to look German, although their stuff is anything but German OES/OEM. Even ECS has to use TRW for the lowers for allroads because not even the Chinese do not make knock offs for the longer length AR lower CAs.

OES/OEM was Lemfroder for the Uppers and TRW Germany for the lowers.

An Audi/TRW/Lemfroder OEM kit at Europa goes for the same price as ECS with Meyle/China uppers.

And its the uppers that go first.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got same kit a couple of years ago. I'm generally happy with them.

Lot's of TRW parts except for the drop links (C-links). The bushings squirted out of the C-links in about 2K miles and I had to reuse the old OEM C-Links.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
IMHO the longer length AR lower CAs.
I measured the lower arms and did not find that they were longer. Yes, there are some differences in geometry to accomidate the extra suspension travel. Here is what I found:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24414593

I installed the A4/A6 lower forward arm on my Arnott conversion equiped allroad. The alignment and function did not change. I've since converted to what I call my "4Z7 Static Kit" to give me the advantages of lower cost arms and better wheel selection due to ET 40+ wheel offset capability.

Quick Reply: Suspension Rattle