Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tailgate releasing itself....

Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate releasing itself....

Car: 2004 AR 2.7 with 65,000 miles.

My tailgate has started to lock/unlock itself. Actually, it's fully releasing the latch as well. When my car is parked sitting unlocked you can hear the rear tailgate mechanism releasing itself. Waits a few seconds then does it again.

If the car is locked. No problem. There have been a few times where I'm driving (doors unlocked) and it will release. I get out, slam the door and by the time I"m back in the drivers seat it will have released again.

If I turn the lock with the key a few times it somewhat resets. Meaning the problem went away for a week but is now back.

Any info?

Hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Oh, and by fully release I mean you can open the tailgate without having to push handle. Dangerous for my dog...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check for a stuck or broken or hair-trigger release button on the driver's side lower B pillar, down low next to your hip.

I had accidentally scraped against it getting in and out of the car (or maybe jambing the seatbelt in the door one day...now sure) and cracked my button. It would pop the liftgate after that by merely brushing past it with my fingertip.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Several options to test

Originally Posted by Tahoesilvers4
Car: 2004 AR 2.7 with 65,000 miles.

My tailgate has started to lock/unlock itself. Actually, it's fully releasing the latch as well. When my car is parked sitting unlocked you can hear the rear tailgate mechanism releasing itself. Waits a few seconds then does it again.

If the car is locked. No problem. There have been a few times where I'm driving (doors unlocked) and it will release. I get out, slam the door and by the time I"m back in the drivers seat it will have released again.

If I turn the lock with the key a few times it somewhat resets. Meaning the problem went away for a week but is now back.

Any info?

Hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Oh, and by fully release I mean you can open the tailgate without having to push handle. Dangerous for my dog...
Check if the remote control not ordered to lock/unlock the back door. (Use another remote)
Check for fault codes in the central locking system(VAG com or scanner)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

SeeksAR is the winner. The problem was the button on next to the drivers door. Button filled with grit and stuck in. Popped it out, cleaned around the edges and problem fixed. Thanks! Was thinking some terrible electrical issue for a bit there.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoesilvers4
SeeksAR is the winner. The problem was the button on next to the drivers door. Button filled with grit and stuck in. Popped it out, cleaned around the edges and problem fixed. Thanks! Was thinking some terrible electrical issue for a bit there.
fascinating!! Wow, AW comes through again. Congrates. I guarantee that may be the cheapest, easiest fix you could ever have on an AR