Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

timing belt and other repair items

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing belt and other repair items

04 allroad manual. has 110k miles. i know that some preventative maintenance needs to be done. timing belt has been recommended. been quoted 1000. does that sound reasonable? can i wait till it fails or will that lead to more internal problems.

power also seems down. any suggestions? thanks guys!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not wait for it to fail! If it has never been changed, do so asap with 110k on the clock.

While you're in there, most people will do the entire valve cover/cam seal/tensioner gaskets, after run pump, water pump, and every vacuum line that looks questionable.

As for the price, I know they can run all over the map, but $1000 is not unheard of for a timing belt on these cars.

Last edited by MrKid; 11-29-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Autocorrect speaks like a caveman
Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKid
Do not wait for it to fail! If it has never been changed, doing asap with 110k on the clock.

While you're in there, most people will do the entire valve cover/cam seal/tensioner gaskets, after run pump, water pump, and every vacuum line that looks questionable.

As for the price, I know they can't run all over the map, but $1000 is not unheard of for a timing belt on these cars.
Good advice here! Do not wait until it fails! These are interference motors so you will have a lot of bent valves and possibly damaged pistons. Also as stated above it's more than just the belt. All of the rollers and pulleys should be replaced as well as the water pump and thermostat. It's not a bad idea to upgrade to the aluminum thermostat housing while you're in there.