Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

live in SE wisconsin, so we have winter weather, bow and rain to contend with. most driving is expressway but i do need to get around in winter. I do not drive loke a racedriver. I unfortunately can afford to keep 2 sets of tires though I can see the value there. So 1 set that sort of covers all seasons is what I would look for.

Pete G
Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've had 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sport a/s,1 set of Goodyear F1 a/s and now I have Michelin Primacy MXV4.The Goodyears where cheaper handled good but where noisy.The Pilot's handled great and where quite but I drive an average of 1000 miles a week.The Pilots would only last about 30k which got costly.The Primacy have a 60k warranty and are the quietest tires I've ever had.They handle great for the ratings and are excellent in the rain.If you haven't got them get a set of H-Sports that will help a great deal in handling.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put on a set of Yokohama w.Drive tires on our '03 allroad this year. Very happy with them. Handle well, quiet, severe winter rated, can be used year-round without any issues. And did I mention that I only paid $123 per tire?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6contem
x2 and I think you can get them for less, at least you can for A6 fitment (235/45/17)
x3 - I got mine for under $100, so shop around. I'm not sure how they do in winter weather as I run dedicated snows, but I have been more than satisfied w/warm weather performance.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nokian WR. - Conti Extreme Contacts - Goodyear Triple-Tread or Super Swampers

OK, I'm kidding about the supper swampers... LOL.

The others though are excellent in terms of decent ride/handling while still providing very modest snow/ice traction - as good as you'll get from a "all season" tire.

The WR's are the best for snow/ice, the Conti and Goodyear are pretty close in terms of good snow/ice and a little better handling than the WR.

They all will be just fine. If i recall the Goodyear will last the longest? Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I always steer clear of Contis, my experience is they always have weak sidewalls and get lots of bubbles here with the NYC potholes.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver
I put on a set of Yokohama w.Drive tires on our '03 allroad this year. Very happy with them. Handle well, quiet, severe winter rated, can be used year-round without any issues. And did I mention that I only paid $123 per tire?
Same here. Best overall tire value and smoothest tires I've had on the allroad. Good for all seasons even though rated for snow.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like tire selection is really a personal choice.
I was unimpressed with how the Michelin Pilot Sport tires wore on my wife's A4, and did put Falken 912's on it. I ave the Falken 512's on my Saab and wen they wore out repalced with Continental ProContact tires. The Cont's were far superior to the Falkens and wear very well.

I will keep monitoring the thread, and read some reviews.
Trouble is that many tire reviews are geared for the average vehicle and the Allroad may present some unique aspects.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Judge AR
I always steer clear of Contis, my experience is they always have weak sidewalls and get lots of bubbles here with the NYC potholes.
+1
I just replace 4 Contis yesterday and it was long before I would have expected to replace. The inside side wall of the left rear tire cracked all around. The remaining tread of the others didn't justify getting just one tire. I replaced with the General Altimax HP but don't think 15 miles is enough to give an opinion yet.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Lavajava,

I am also in SE Wisconsin and can share some of my experiences if it helps. I was running 245/45/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS tires with the intent of running them through winter; the first snow we had last year convinced me that was not an option with those specific tires in that size. I ended up putting Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds on(225/55/17); the difference is staggering. I would not consider ever going without dedicated winter tires again. To your point about tire issues specific to the allroad, I would not recommend the F1 AS tires based upon my experiences thus far. Although they were outstanding to begin with (quiet,with great traction in the rain); the road noise has increased dramatically after 12K miles. That could of course be something unique with my specific vehicle, but certainly look for as many data points as you can before selecting a tire.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations